Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot get printer networked

• Please log in to reply

rufus1

rufus1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 98 and a computer with xp. The xp has the printer. I can ask the 98 computer to print and it looks as though the item is going to print but never does. The printer is shared and the pathway is correct, I think. I am wondering if it is not the printer. The printer is a lexmark x73. What is wrong?

Advertisements

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Your using a print router?

Make sure all the apropiate drives are installed. If all else fails you can try to install the printer by directly linking the problem comp with the printer and MAKE SURE the printer is installed

rufus1

rufus1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I TRIED LINKING THE PRINTER DIRECTLY TO THE COMPUTER AND INSTALLING ALL THE DRIVERS BUT THAT DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM. i AM WONDERING IF THE 98 COMPUTER (WHICH IS THE ONE NOT CONNECTED TO THE PRINTER) IS TRYING TO SEND THE PRINT MATERIAL TO THE WRONG PORT BECAUSE THE LEXMARK IS RUNNING OFF A USB PORT???? THE ONLY PORT OPOINS ON THE 98 ARE FOR PRINT PORTS.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Keep it connected to the XP machine. Go to add printer on the 98 machine, set it as a local printer, when it asks for port, select add a port, and choose Standard TCP/IP port. Then enter in the IP address of the XP machine. It should find and try to install drivers for it then. You would want to get the 98 drivers for that model and install them from disk. Try that and see what happens.

Greazy Mcgeezy