Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98 Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply

guymontech

guymontech

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
:tazz: Hi everyone! I am a newbie to this board, but look forward to getting to know everyone!

Here is my problem: I am working on a computer that is running on Win 98. The woman had a Cable Modem installed about a month ago. Since then she has had trouble getting the computer to boot up right. When I arrived the vnetsetup.vxd, vredir.vxd, and dsf.vxd where missing. I copied these files over, and those errors went away. She was also getting a pop up saying "Dynamic Link Library could not find msnp32.dll". I replaced that file a couple times, but never got the error to go away. According to her, when the installer came out to put in the cable modem "he put something in the computer, and it didnt work. so he took it out and called tech support and they told him he didnt need to put it in" I am assuming this was an ethernet card since a crappy install can cause the above errors.

Ok, anyway. The problem now is, if the computer sits for a little bit, and you try to turn it on, the CPU looks and sounds like it is going thru its normal process. However, the monitor light stays orange and doesnt respond. After you restart a couple times, and ctrl alt del a few times, it will finally come on. It is fine once you get it on.

Any suggestions?

Becky

Advertisements

timetowaste

timetowaste

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
If you think the ethernet card installation is causig the problem why don't you uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the ethernet card.

guymontech

guymontech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I will have to look closer when I go back over there. According to her, the guy did not leave the Ethernet card in there. He took it back out, and just plugged it into "something" she already had on the machine. I will have to check it in more detail when I go over there tomorrow.

Once I fixed the original boot errors, I turned the PC off and on about 6 times, and it never messed up for me. So I thought I had got the problem fixed, of course it did it for her 2 hours later. Ugh!

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
And you are currently using 98? This is probably a hardware issue, the card might of intalled somthing that they didn't see.

guymontech

guymontech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, my client is still running Win 98. I am sure it is probably related to the card the installer tried to put in. I will definitely be checking it out when I go tomorrow.

Becky

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well I haven't seen there error in a long time. you need to reinstall the 1.4 dialup patch. this will update the tcpip stack. you may need a 98 cd and you may have to point to the windows and windows\system paths a lot.

http://support.micro...b;EN-US;q285189

your other option is to pull tcp-ip and ms network client (in that order) from network properties. reboot and readd those to the system.