Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS updates

• Please log in to reply

dloveland

dloveland

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, this is probably a really dumb issue but I am not very good at this computer stuff. I have the Error #317 issue and am trying to follow the steps listed to even begin fixing this. I have done the cleanup, ad aware, cwshredder, spybot and panda active scan. I cannot download the Microsoft updates sp1a. I've tried numerous times and nothing happens. Once it began to prepare to install and then it said it failed to install sp2 (but I was trying for sp1a). Do I have to install the updates before I begin the hijack this log and the steps to fix error#317? Please help!!!

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Are you getting an error message when the SP2 fails to install??

The guru's in Malware will require the SP1 or SP2 update due to the security features both have to offer - especially SP2..

Lastly, is your XP cd and original or one you or a friend made for you??

Murray

Blaze88

Blaze88

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
This happens to me as well when i try to download SP2 from MS Update.

dloveland

dloveland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The xp version is the home edition...i don't have a cd for it...it came with the computer when we bought it from best buy.

When I tred to download sp1a tonight, it will began downloading sp2. But, my virus attacked ( I get this site that pops up and says "Protect yourself immediately....I x this out asap, otherwise stuff starts downloading like crazy). Anyway, then the download continued for a minute and I got a message that installation failed. I went back and tried again and nothing happens.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Welll.. they don't like it but I would post your problem in the Malware Forum telling them about your inability to get the updates..

They will advise you as to what you should do or what they can do !!

Good luck.. :tazz:

Murray

dloveland

dloveland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, I'll do that!