Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

good parts for good computer?

• Please log in to reply

ernieh

ernieh

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
cpu AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
mobo asus a8n sli deluxe
video card GIGABYTE Geforce 6600GT sli
400 watt psu
hd 80 gb wd pata 7200 rpm
ram CORSAIR CM72SD1024RLP-3200

are these parts compatable and good for a gameing computer and 1st build

Edited by ernieh, 22 June 2005 - 08:09 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
they will work but try and get a bigger psu a bigger HD as they are better value for money if they are bigger to a point. Check out the x800 ati cards they are better than 6600GTs. Asus dont make the best amd bords check out abit or msi the best boards and the best prices.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
what about using this mobo
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
can you get an sli enabled video card in x800 or w/ any other better gpu

Edited by ernieh, 24 June 2005 - 11:41 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sli is an nvidia thing and unless you buy the cards at the same time it is hard to implement as the cards have to be identical to a very high degree usually to the batch number or you will have to flash the bios of both cards of they are not the same batch. Although there are rumours that crossfire the ati spin on multi gpu might be able to work on an sli board. The mobos good, but if you are asking questions like that you really ought not to consider trying sli at a later stage it is difficult.

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yeah ATI is working on something similar to SLI right now. If i were you i would go with an X800 right now, or a GeForce 6800GT if it's within your budget. By the way the parts you have selected are all compatible.

-spudZ :tazz:

PS: Hey warrior is it really that hard to buy one card and then buy another for SLI when you have the money?? That's what I was thinking of doing... ;)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if you are comfortable flashing the bios on two gfx cards then it isnt that bad just time consuming (as you will have to take one card out and do it and then put the other in and do it and then try both). The hardest part a year maybe down the line is getting the same card from the same manufacturer as they are constantly changing and improving there range that is actually the hardest bit. Not many people have im implemented sli at a later stage so as more people try it wil become more evident of any other problems that will im sure appear. If you are good woth computers it is doable its just not the best thing for people who are new to the computer scene.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
well i am pertty new with computers and do not know how to flash BIOS but i would like to try and use sli so should i buy 2 of the same video cards at the same time

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would be cheaper and better of with a one card solution because on 6800ultra will give you a similar output as two 6600GTs teh only advantage you would have is the ram and most games arent designed with cards of over 256 in mind so the advantage is lessened. A 7800 is 2.5x more powerful than two 6800s in sli and uses 50W less power.
So single card is the best thing for you SLi still has some teething problems its a relatively new thing that not a alot of people use as of yet.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
what is the best card for about 200-350 dollers