Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

rolling

rolling

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I do have a few problems in my “Device Manager”.
Under “Other Devices”(with question mark): Each of them have a exclamation mark on top of question mark which are;

Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

I already tried uninstall them and reboot my pc, but it came right back into my Device Manager.

Is there anyone can help me please??

Note: I have been clean out my original XP home edition, but I create the partition with my new XP professional CD recently. Which mean is it happened like that after create the partition.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Instead of uninstalling the devices, have you let XP update the drivers? Surprised anything works.

Johanna

rolling

rolling

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Instead of uninstalling the devices, have you let XP update the drivers?  Surprised anything works.

Johanna

View Post

I tried let XP CD to update the drivers, but it wouldn’t work. All I have it said

“ ? Ethernet Controller
It is recommended that you connect to the internet so that the wizard can search online and look for the appropriate software.

๏ Yes, connect and search for the software on the internet
๏ No, do not connect to the intenet now

If you know another place where software might be located, click Back and select the Advanced option.”

Which I could not connect to the internet, so I clicked No. Then I got this message:

“Cannot Install this Software

This hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.

Φ Click Back if you have installation media such as a CD-ROM, or if you know the location of the software.”

I guess CD that I have does not contain update able drivers: (It is XP Professional Service pack I).

Rolling

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what is the name/make/model of your motherboard. Betting you have an nforce2 chipset (SM Bus Controller is good indicator)

rolling115

rolling115

• Pip
  • 2 posts

what is the name/make/model of your motherboard. Betting you have an nforce2 chipset (SM Bus Controller is good indicator)

View Post

I'm Rolling, I forgot my password and re-register with rolling115.

Anyway, Would you tell me what is the mother board looks like?? or what part of my pc should I look at to find out those information?

But I can tell you my pc info:

IBM Think centre MT-M 8199-41U.
It was came with XP home, but I lost that and I got XP pro now.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download Everest Home

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and attach it to your next post

rolling115

rolling115

• Pip
  • 2 posts

download Everest Home

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and attach it to your next post

View Post

Finally, I fixed my problem with your very kind help!
Thank you very much for it!!

Rolling^^

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
glad you're up and running but it sounds like you did all the work yourself