Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

AndrewNeedsHelp

AndrewNeedsHelp

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alrighty. These past few days my computer had a blue background, with the "Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c" message. I visited this site yesterday, and after looking at some threads, I was some how able to get rid of the background. I'm not sure how that was possible, but it worked, and I can change my backgorund once again. Anyways, I wanted to make sure I got rid of Smitfraud fully, and if I didn't, would like some assistance in removing it. I ran a virus scan with webroot, and got rid of some adware etc, and I just want to make sure I won't be getting anymore "Warning" ad pop-up's etc.
Here ar the results from the HiJackThis system scan I ran..

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:54:09 AM, on 28/09/00
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBROOT\SPY SWEEPER\SPYSWEEPER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP DESKJET 710C SERIES\EREG\REMIND32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK EASYSHARE SOFTWARE\BIN\EASYSHARE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBROOT\SPY SWEEPER\WRSSSDK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1C38E5C2-9373-11D4-B5DF-000454E4E54E} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ENCK.DLL (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBROOT\SPY SWEEPER\SPYSWEEPER.EXE" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - Startup: Reminder-hpc41001.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP DeskJet 710C Series\ereg\Remind32.exe
O4 - Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = C:\PMG4\PMREMIND.EXE
O4 - Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe
O4 - Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsear...?p=ZBzeb032YYCA
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {26FE2920-9373-11D4-B5DF-0004E2364103} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {26FE2920-9373-11D4-B5DF-0004E2364103} - (no file) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://zone.msn.com/...aploader_v6.cab
O16 - DPF: {EFAEF0E4-F044-4D57-9900-1C3FF18524C9} (AV Class) - http://www.pcpitstop...irus/PitPav.cab
O18 - Filter: text/html - {3CCD6D02-9513-11D4-B5DF-000461B8CC14} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ENCK.DLL
O18 - Filter: text/plain - {3CCD6D02-9513-11D4-B5DF-000461B8CC14} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ENCK.DLL

Thank you, in advanced, for the help. :tazz:

(Oh and I also cannot change my homepage, I'm geussing it's from the whole smitfraud issue)

Edited by AndrewNeedsHelp, 22 June 2005 - 09:48 PM.

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi Andrew, welcome to the Geeks to Go Forums.

My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your log. Your system is suffering from one of the About:Blank variants as well as some other more minor infections.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order in which they are mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.

1. We must disable SpySweeper whlke we are fixing your system because by its nature, it has been programmed to stop the alterations that we will have to nake.

To disable SpySweeper:

Open it click >Options over to the left then >program options >Uncheck "load at windows startup".
Over to the left click "shields" and uncheck all there.
Uncheck "home page shield".
Uncheck 'automaticly restore default without notifiction

2. Download the stand alone free version of CWShredder from HERE

Open the program and make sure you update it.

If you do not have a zip program please download the evaluation version of Winzip.

3. Download SpSeHjfix.zip to the desktop. Then right click on the desktop and select new >folder, name it spfix[b/] unzip SpSeHjfix.zip into the new folder.

Disconnect
from the net and Close ALL OPEN PROGRAMS.
Run 'SpSeHjfix'. and click on "Start Disinfection".
When it's finished it will reboot your machine to finish the cleaning process.
The tool creates a log of the fix which will appear in the folder.

If it doesn't find any of the SE files or any hidden reinstallers it will say system clean and not go on to next stage

Once it is finished run CWShredder - Hit The FIX button!

4. Reboot and post a new HJT log and the log that was created by 'SpSeHjfix'.

Warning Note: On a few occasions it has been reported that after using the SPSEHjfix you cannot open Internet Explorer. To fix this, go into Control Panel >Internet Options >Programs & press reset web settings, then you can set your home page to what you want on the general tab.

Regards,

Trevuren

AndrewNeedsHelp

AndrewNeedsHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Woo! I did everything you said (except for the fact I had to redownloaded CWShredder after SpSeHjfix had ran and rebooted, as I couldn't seem to find it), and everything seems to be back to normal. I ran CWShredder, restarted the computer (and had to refresh my web settings) and here's the log I got..

Scan saved at 5:33:18 AM, on 29/09/00

Running processes:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/spage.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - Startup: Reminder-hpc41001.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP DeskJet 710C Series\ereg\Remind32.exe
O4 - Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe
O4 - Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {26FE2920-9373-11D4-B5DF-0004E2364103} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {26FE2920-9373-11D4-B5DF-0004E2364103} - (no file) (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://zone.msn.com/...aploader_v6.cab
O16 - DPF: {EFAEF0E4-F044-4D57-9900-1C3FF18524C9} (AV Class) - http://www.pcpitstop...irus/PitPav.cab

Hopefully that's fixed most of the problems! Also, is it okay for me to start Webroot again? Cheers

EDIT: Also, what setting should my Hidden Files be set to? It is currently on "Show all files" and I'm wondering if I should change it to.. "Do not show hidden files" or "Do not show hidden files or system files"? Thank you.

Edited by AndrewNeedsHelp, 23 June 2005 - 05:38 PM.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
First things first. We haven't finished our cleanup yet. Your questions will ALL be answered in the last post.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order in which they are mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.

We need to make sure all hidden files are showing so please:
* Open My Computer.
* Select the View menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View Tab.
* In the Hidden files section select Show all files.
* Click OK.

Please RUN HijackThis.
. Click the SCAN button to produce a log.

Place a check mark beside each one of the following items:

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =

Now with all the items selected and all windows closed except for HJT, delete them by clicking the FIX checked button. Close the HijackThis window and Reboot Your System in Safe Mode

How to Start To Safe Mode Using the F8 method in Windows 98/98SE/ME

To start your computer in Safe Mode:
*turn the computer on
*as the computer restarts, press and hold down the Ctrl key until the Windows 98 startup menu appears. (This also works with the F8 key following the same steps)
*Choose Safe mode from the startup menu,
*press Enter
*Windows starts in Safe mode.
*Restart your computer when finished troubleshooting

Using Windows Explorer, locate the following folder, and DELETE it with all its content (if still present):

C:\WINDOWS\web

Exit Explorer, and REBOOT BACK INTO NORMAL MODE

Finally, RUN Hijackthis again and produce a new HJT log. Post it in the forum so we can check how everytjhing looks now.

Regards,

Trevuren

AndrewNeedsHelp

AndrewNeedsHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, I went in Safe Mode and deleted all the C:\WINDOWS\web content. Here is the new HiJackThis log..

Scan saved at 7:12:16 AM, on 29/09/00

Running processes:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE

O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Congratulations, your new log shows that your SYSTEM IS CLEAN

There are a few things you must do once you are completely clean:

1. Cleanup the leftovers. Download CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.

2. Finally, Re-hide your System Files and Folders to prevent any future accidents.

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.

I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My Favorite)

Regards,

Trevuren

AndrewNeedsHelp

AndrewNeedsHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Trevuren, thank you very much for all the help. I'll be sure to download some, if not all of those programs, and read the guide to keep my computer virus free. Once again, thank you for all your help, it is very much appreciated!

:tazz:

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.