Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with XP Home SP2 firewall settings greyed

• Please log in to reply

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have a computer that has WinXP Home with SP2 on it. Basically I removed some spyware or virus which messed with the registry setting for the Windows Firewall. Now when I go to the firewall settings, enable and disable are both greyed out. I can manually turn on and off the firewall through the registry settings however I can’t seem to fix this problem with both boxes being greyed out. It says something like it is being managed by a group policy but the thing is, there is no group policy within WinXP Home.

I’m dying trying to figure out what the [bleep] is going on and how to fix this problem without formatting the computer.

Advertisements

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Have you tried logging in as administrator to change the firewall settings, and do you have any other software firewall running?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
regedit
enter

navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

anything in there sound like a firewall setting?

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yes there are a bunch of stuff in the Policies area.

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
For future reference what I had to do was delete these two keys from the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile

Those two keys are not needed for Windows XP Home.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, thanks for the update....sorry I never got back to you and it looks like you found the proper settings.