Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.exe programs that I just don't get...

• Please log in to reply

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Okay. I've got something called Windows Installer 3.1 installed on my computer, and while I understand that this is a completely valid program, I really have no idea what it is for. The Microsoft folks claim that it is an 'application installation and configuration service' but...what the heck does that mean? Could someone please explain its functions to me in greater detail? As in, don't just tell me it helps with program installations. I've gathered that much myself. ;) And yeah I know I may seem like a real idiot for asking this question but does this program require access to the Internet to run as well? And oh by the way, does anyone happen to know the exact file name to Windows Installer 3.1?

Also, what does the rundll32.exe file do, exactly? The description for it says that it 'Runs a DLL as an application' and, eh, I really don't get it. :tazz: And again, does it require the Internet to be able to run properly?

I'm asking these questions because I'm trying to configure my ZoneAlarm firewall's (the free version) list of programs in the 'Allow access to Internet' field. Yes, I know I'm nitpicking, and I know that it doesn't really matter which programs can be allowed to access the Internet because I can always add/remove them whenever I like but I just like to feel secure and you know, be on the safe side and all. My old computer had to be reformatted numerous times because of various spyware/virus invasions and this has made me kind of leery whenever I'm approaching computer security issues.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Windows Installer helps to install applications on your PC. When programmers make apps, they usually use one of the standard already available installers like Windows Installer, Nullsoft Installer which will install their app on ur PC; this removes the burden from the programmer from creating his own installtion setup.

Yes, U may give Windows Installer internt access, as some apps need to download stuff from the internet b4 they are installed.

rundll32.exe a system process used to load 32-bit DLLs on ur PC.
It has never tried to access the internet on my PC.
Do a Virus-Scan just to be sure, as many viruses and malware like the W32.Miroot.Worm hide behind rundll32.exe

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Oh wow. That was fast. ^^

Okay. Keeping what you said in mind, the next time I download new software, I'll allow ZoneAlarm to grant Windows Installer access the Internet.

32-bit DLLs...what are those? o_o Anyway, about what you said about rundll32.exe - I did run a scan on it using Norton AntiVirus 2005 (which despite all the bad experiences others have had with it, works like a dream on my computer) and nope, Norton didn't come up with anything, so I'll assume it is worm-free. It started asking for Internet access sometime this afternoon when I went to Microsoft's site through one of the links on Windows Security Center, and I allowed it to. But then I changed my mind and removed the program from the list so...*shrugs* I guess I'll just see if it asks for Internet access again any time soon...

Thanks for the help! :tazz: