Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

• Please log in to reply

AndyJay

AndyJay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All.
i have a very slow Time pc - P2 400 and want to rip the guts out of it and completely rebuild it.
Can i use a modern motherboard, etc inside the case?

Any other tips very much appreciated.

I need my machine to be fast. I don't play a lot of games.

Andy

Advertisements

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
That all depends. 1st, is the case ATX spec? Then, if you're going to rip everything out, why stay witha baige-bomber case? I mean, if you're just doing little tweaks, stay with the old case; but if you're redoing all of the insides, you might as well give it a new case. Plus, the old P2 PSU probably won't be able to handle a bunch of new power hungry parts. I say just get a new case, you might as well start from scratch if you're rebiulding 90% of the machine.

AndyJay

AndyJay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank 1nfection

I think your right! The case is a bit ugly.

Can you reccommend a good online supplier? Im in the UK

Thanks Again

Andy :tazz:

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I'd go newegg. They have some good stuff at decent prices. Just go into the cases section and start looking. Some of the better manufacturers are CoolerMaster, and Lian-Li makes some decent cases as well. It all depends on what you want. I have a CoolerMaster WaveMaster case, and I like it because it has a removable MoBo Tray, so I can get inside the case to tweak really easy.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Since when does newegg sell in the UK.
Microdirect, Ebuyer , and www.overclockers.co.uk
overclockers are great they only sell the best of stuff but it can occasionaly be a couple of quid more expensive but thats only on somestuff for mobos and gfx cards they are probably the cheapest same goes for ram.
You will probably be able to save the floppy drive an a cd drive if you really want to otherwise its a scraper send it for recycling. If you dont play alot of games why does it need to be fast?

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Newegg doesn't ship to the UK? My bad. I coulda sworn that they did...

Disregard my prior statements about Newegg.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im sure newegg would ship to the UK if you asked you could always get an american friend to fed ex you the stuff but imagine the shipping costs it would be huge.

Yanks get it to good when it comes to cases the only cases that are cheapish are antecs 120 quid for a case and not even a generic pc bog off the bunch of gold digging rat bags bloomin VAT 17.5% i say we brits club together and do a catch22 style plan to get rid of Gordo B.
STOP SHOUTING. taxin for everything you know the yanks would thro a fit if they had to pay the tax we do. knew a americaner that visited here and actually went pale when he found out how much tax he would have to pay if he moved here.

ach sorry for the rant i just dont like payin money for anythin, i hate following a stereotype but i am really stingy even for a scotsman. maybe its cause my name is scott it means tax free in norse or sumthin, im rantin agian its to late time for bed.