Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc boots up to black screen

• Please log in to reply

cloaked05

cloaked05

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
my pc, when I turn it on, I can hear it loading and stuff, but the screen is all black! Also theres no beep that it usually does in the beginning.

Advertisements

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,
Have you recently:

Flashed your BIOS?
Or
Overclocked your graphics card?

As this can cause the same type of problems.

Also I presume you have checked all cables, power & VGA?

Is the graphics adaptor onboard or PCI/AGP? i.e. Is the graphics card built in to the motherboard or is it a plug-in card?

The more information you can supply the more helpful we can be my friend.

cloaked05

cloaked05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
the graphics card is agp, I don't think I flashed my BIOS cuz I dont no what it is, and overclocked my video card? I dont think I did that cuz I dont know how to.

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Good.

Sorry for the questions but here are some more......

Make sure no pins are bent in the VGA cable (male), and there is no damage to the actual card VGA port (female).

Do you have a spare AGP card you can borrow off a friend? Or a friend that would let you test your card in their PC? Also a monitor to test, or a friend who will let you plug-in your monitor on their PC?

Please check all cables again.

The process of elimination is far cheaper then the process of replacement. :tazz:

cloaked05

cloaked05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
okay, I brought my pc already to my friends to use on his monitor, the same thing happened, the black screen. And I bought a new agp video card and plugged it in and still black.

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ouch.

Sounds like a motherboard fault there mate. Are you sure your NEW AGP card doesn't require a power input? Many new AGP cards require their own power dongle from the power supply to operate correctly. If you haven't plugged in power and the AGP card requires it obviously it will fail to function properly. But discard that if you do not require power to your AGP card.

I think it may be worth considering purchasing a new motherboard if both the monitor and AGP card work in your friends PC and not in yours. :tazz:

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have had similar problems before but they usually come down to BIOS flashing going wrong or over clocking too extremely. But in this case it does suggest a motherboard fault of some kind?

Everything is bedded in firmly I take it?

Again sorry to ask such obvious questions but sometimes we can all forget the basics.

:tazz:

cloaked05

cloaked05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
it was working before, perfectly, then when I turned off my pc, and then on, it happened. What is flashing bios? and how do u overclock?

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
BIOS Flashing:

See: http://searchstorage...i212130,00.html

Overclocking:

See: http://whatis.techta...i212732,00.html

Courtesy of http://www.WhatIs.com

Sorry I couldn't help you mate! Hope you get your problem fixed soon.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whne you say it sounds like it is working....do you hear the windows startup media file?

Speculation: Power supply

A power supply is actually three power supplies in one (sorta). The symptom you describe can be when part of the power supply goes bad.

Each power supply has a 12volt rail, a 5 volt rail, and a 3.3 volt rail. the 12 volt rail powers anything with a motor, a 5 volt rail powers the on switch and some older video cards, and the 3.3. volt rail powers the memory, cpu, and videocard.

When the 12 volt and 5 volt rail work and the 3.3 volt rail does not, you can press the power button, the drives will spin up, the fans will whirrr and it sounds for all the world like a PC is running, but the CPU, Memory and videocard will do nothing.