Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA HDD Driving Me CRAZY!

• Please log in to reply

-apeX

-apeX

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I have recently bought a new rig with every new part. Everything seems to work fine accept I am having problems settting up my SATA hard drive. I have a Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM 74 GB, and an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard. I have looked on tech support sites and tried to follow what they say and take the file from my Mobo disk and put it on a floppy and boot and press F6 to run the drivers, but all that happens is I put the floppy in and computer says "Please wait..." and than asks for the floppy again. I have been trying for a week and am completely pissed off at the thing. I would love some help, would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Is everything else installed correctly?

Does the bios recognise the fact that the raptor is installed right?

-apeX

-apeX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Is everything else installed correctly?

Does the bios recognise the fact that the raptor is installed right?

View Post

Well in BIOS it shows up yes, and says it's in Channel_1...whatever that means. So I guess it recognizes it.

techroy

techroy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I must admit I don't know much about your motherboard but usually you can configure your bios settings first to make this work. Check if your SATA settings are on RAID or something. check your manual online if there is any info about this.

-apeX

-apeX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What would I have to configure. THis is the first time I have a SATA so Im very new to this, so step my step help would be appreciated.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I don't have a that board at home, so I'm kinda running blind. However, go into your bios, and look for anything with RAID. Sometimes you get stuck with the RAID being turned on, and it's looking for another drive, and you need the drivers. However, if you make sure that this is turned off, then everything should be fine. I have that drive in my current rig and it installed almost by itself. Make sure that RAID is off and that the bios is recognising the drive.

Have you got to install the OS yet? Or did this problem start before you got there?

-apeX

-apeX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's before, and yes I noticed that option. Its an option that lets me change it from IDE to RAID and back and forth. Is that what you mean?

THanks for the help so far btw.
I will try this when I get home from working out.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Yeah. Change that to IDE. That should fix your problem. It was on RAID I'd be willing to bet.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I had problems installing my raptor on the same exact mobo! I could not even load xp because xp doesnt support it for some reason, so i imaged my old hd onto it with the Western Digital Datalife guard tools. Download the datalifeguard crap from western digital and do it there way.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Try switching the IDE/RAID option first. That should work, but if you're right scrush, then I leave this to you, since you have the mobo lol. Thanks man.

-apeX

-apeX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will try it soon, also scrush it turns out this motherboard was born with SATA problems. Everyother site that has a poster with SATA problems has our mobo. I have seen 7 out of 8 has this mobo. sad.

-apeX

-apeX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I would like to thank all that helped me. Especially infection. I got this badass HDD to work and I love it.
What I did: Restored BIOS settings to Default. Next I switched SATA mode to IDE and than made a flopppy, (on brother's comp) from an ASUS website. Seems the drivers were old on the disc provided. Than I booted and was amazed that it worked. Great tech support thanks all!! Very satisfied.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Any time, just glad that it got fixed. Have fun with 10,000 RPM's man :tazz: