Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OK I GIVE UP!

• Please log in to reply

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have had it, I have been at this for about 7 hours and I am getting no where.
I don't know computer terminology, but how do I get my computer blank??
I have a billion things on this computer and I need it. What is all that info on, it is on the drive (D) or the mother board?
Is there anything that can be replaced maybe to save this stuff? Or does someone know how to get throught MS-DOS problem it has???
I am so lost and sooo mad. I can't even restore anything I have done to it...ugh
If anyone can help I am all ears.
Thanks,

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first off- what is the problem you are having?be more descriptive and we might be able to help

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
he had another post and peterm was helping him

newdot is a malware infection....the computer builder did not put it on your machine, you did when installing some software. It is malware.

the 16bit subsystem error is a result of cleaning some malware...some malware wipes out a certain file.

to fix this second problem, go here and get this:

Download the xp-fix from the following page:

windows xp 16-bit subsystem error

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
to fix the newdot problem, what malware removal programs have you used?

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi,
I think I got the system restore going again. No what the guy did was pirated the XP on the many, many computers he sold, I need to rerun xp to fix some problems and I don't have the disk, nor, according to microsoft would it do me any good. Right now I am just trying to get it up and running to avoid having to spend double what I paid for this computer and busted monitor. :tazz:
Enough of me venting.
I cannot run any programs on this computer until I get the 16 bit thing fixed. I have tried to go in and change the autoexe.nt, config and the other thingy, the prompt is saying it can't open the file.
I don't know what to do, I have had this computer for 15 months and it has been in the shop twice now it is about to go back, crap I could of bought a brand new one for all this crap, especially when I have to go buy a legit XP.
Do you need more info...lol

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

No what the guy did was pirated the XP on the many, many computers he sold,

View Post

Howdy:

Ouch.. Not sure we will be able to help seeing as though your are using pirated software..

One thing you could try, if the guy is still in business, is threaten to report him to the authorities (Microsoft anti-piracy) if he does not cough up a legitimate XP cd for you..

Murray

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or visit his house with a baseball bat and a chainsaw...that usually works

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
WOW thanks, I think the 16 bit may be fixed.
Do you know how to fix the cannot display page so I can get on line and download the malware or whatever I need to do. This computer has been offline since Dec 8, I am renting a computer now and I am ready to deal with this one.
Thanks again, maybe there is hope :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do you get the error message with every website you go to??

Also, due to the fact you are admittedly using pirated software (XP), any further assistance to you would be against this sites AUP ..

Sorry, but until you buy a legal license from Microsoft or a legitimate XP cd with a legal key code, our support will need to stop here..

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 23 June 2005 - 10:22 AM.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Oh, I have already turned him in and I hope he frys for it. I emailed him about it when I got it and the 21 inch monitor was busted, I asked him to either send me another monitor or money to buy one. He was going to send one then changed his mind. Then I told him to file a claim with UPS, he wouldn't do that either, although I paid for like $1700 worth of insurance, got screwed on that.
Then I contacted Microsoft when my XP went down in December, and they have tried to help but couldn't. So now I am just trying to get this up and running so I can either download 98 to upgrade to xp or just buy xp and forgo the middle man.
But I got to get it going, I am paying $40 a week on a rental, that is eating into my XP money...lol
But yes, I am mad and I hope he gets it!! I would never of bought this had I known that, now I know why I could never get any upgrades.
Thanks,
Anyone know how to fix the page cannot be displayed thingy?

Advertisements

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I can't buy it until I can get this working, no sense me paying $200 for something I may not be able to us, I didn't agree to buy it pirated, I just found this out 3 weeks ago.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
With a legitimate copy of XP you can do a repair install by following our simple "computer idiot" guide and your system will be cured and you will not lose any of your data or applications

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
That is not what Microsoft told me.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Actually, microsoft is giving people who turn in pirates in your case a free copy of windows xp....well, does not matter.

Since you have the newdot, thing, here is how you fix that problem to get back on line. Sorry, didn't click for a second.

Download this and put on a floppy

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

run it on your machine.

That will repair the ip stack, whcih newdot corrupts.

OR

If this is windows xp sp2, you can do the following

start > run, type
netsh winsock reset
<enter>

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Are you sure about that, the free xp that is???? Because they gave me the hotline number and said since he has done me wrong on 3 things now I should report him...lol, she also said they couldn't help me with obtaining a recovery disk or anything.
Do you know where I can find out for sure about it, that would help me alot.
Thanks you all have been most helpful.