Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wierd problems with InstallShield

• Please log in to reply

fliphop

fliphop

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
For some reason after having my PC for a year, installshield has been really wierd. It takes a long pause at 0%, and then starts installing after 10 or minutes later. I'm not really sure why it does this because it used to run fast when I first got the computer. Any suggestions on what I could do to make InstallShield install programs and uninstall programs faster?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
with ALL installations? Or just some?

The reason I ask is that older programs that were scripted with an old version of install shield will do this with windows xp and a windows update installed (cannot recall which).

This is a conflict between that version of install shield and windows xp security. You still run into older programs that used the old scripting tool that creates the install subroutine.

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Well, it freezes on major programs installations like Battelfield Vietnam, Paint Shop Pro demo, and other programs like that. Like when I first got Battlefield Vietnam, it installed pretty quickly. Now when I tried uninstalling it, it took over 20 minutes to get the actually uninstallation going. Same goes for installing it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in other words, files with large archives (battlefield, for example has a huge archive a image textures)

just out of curiousity, try downloading and installing this:

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Also, is this SP1 or sp2?

If sp1, update to sp2 and install the above

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
It's sp1, so guess I'll update to sp2 and install it. I'll post to see what happens

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't forget the msi installer 3.1 i linked to....you might even try that first

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I installed the thing you gave me, but it still takes a while to uninstall this program. It's wierd cause if I would to do this on my laptop, it would go fast, but on the PC, it runs slow.