Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Totally Fustrated

• Please log in to reply

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I think I might've figured out your problem. You need to get service pack 1 and all updates. New media player probably doesn't run correctly without them. Get service pack 2 if you want also. Make sure to do this, and then we will remove the spyware from your pc and make it secure so no further problems arise. Without these updates, we will both be wasting our time, as your system will be left vulnerable to immediate further attacks.

Windows Updates

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Advertisements

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Uh Oh. I'm totally embaressed to admit this but it seems that i have an invalid product key and can't get service pack 1 or 2. I won't lie and say i didn't know because i did. I hope this does'nt change anything as far as your concerned. I still would like to remove the spyware if possible.

However i feel really bad and decided to buy a copy of xp pro as soon as i can. I found it on sale for $169 at frys(local electronics store)

wace9178

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well, the problem is that you can remove all the spyware you want to, but it will be back almost immediately after removing it. Basically as soon as an internet connection is made. It will have been a big waste of time for you and me. I would love to help. but it will not do any good. The service packs and updates patch holes in the Windows Operating System Programming. Malicious hackers have designed spyware/adware/viruses/etc.. to specifically break into these holes. Without patching them everything will be right back or even worse. Basically it would be compared to being in a small boat with a large hole in it and the water is filling the boat at 5 gallons per minute and you are scooping water out of the boat at 1 gallon per minute. You will still sink, your efforts will be in vain. I'm sorry. Please hurry and get a new Windows disk so we can fix up your pc.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I guess thats what i get. So basically your saying that spybot, adaware and cwshredder even with the updates are not very effective anymore. Ive also used spyware blaster and avg anti virus at one time or another. as you can see by all the free products i use i don't have alot of money to spend on these type of products.

I don't want to waste your time I know you are very busy. you've been a great help and i thank you very much.

I however don't want to give up just yet! I have 2 questions and i won't bother you anymore.

1. I have a legit copy of windows 98, would i be better off running it with all the updates until i get the new xp?

2. Can you please help make take off the spyware this one time and i promise not to bother you anymore.

Again you have been great help and i thank you for staying with me this long.

Many thanks,
Wace9178

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I am not saying that they are not effective at all, having them is better than not, at least you can try to keep the spyware at a lower level ya know. I use this free software, I think the only thing that I have purchased is my operating system (windows xp pro) and my firewall. The rest is freeware, and if used correctly they are very effective with the right updated windows operating systems. I don't want you to feel like you're bothering me because we are all here to help. It's just not worth it for either of us to remove something that will just return quicker than it took us to remove it. I will definitely find out how to downgrade from xp to 98 tonite while I'm at school. I will ask my instructor, he's the man with all the answers. Is it 98 second edition or 98 first edition? I will check this while i am at school, and try to respond. Please don't feel like a bother. We just want to be able to assist in fixing user's pc's and have them stay that way and keep a smile on their faces! <_< :D :D

-=jonnyrotten=-

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
its 98 SE. and thanks for the kind words.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Did you "upgrade" XP from Win98? Or, perform a clean install. If you upgraded this may work:

Start Windows XP normally or start in safe mode (Press F8 key on boot up)
Click “Start”

then open “Control Panel”

now select “Add or Remove Programs”

You should now be in “Change or Remove Programs”.

If so click on “Windows XP Uninstall”,

then “Change/Remove”,

and then click “Uninstall Windows XP”.

Click “Yes” at the next warning screen to start the Windows XP removal process.

Once completed your computer will restart, and boot to the previously-installed operating system.

jllcmu

jllcmu

• Pip
  • 1 posts

First run Winsockxp Fix

Next thing you have to do is go into your local area connection and right click on it.  Click Tcp/ip , click properties.  Make sure "obtain ip address automatically" and "obtain dns server automatically" are selected.  Next click the "alternate configuration" tab and make sure "automatic private ip address" is selected.  Run a cmd prompt and type

ipconfig /release <enter>
ipconfig /renew  <enter>
ipconfig /all        <enter>

you should have a new ip and everything should be fine.  Let us know

-=jonnyrotten=- :D

View Post

Can I just say, I ran into this problem as well when trying to get rid of the 1000+ spyware, adware, malware, etc, on my moms comp. That fix was amazing. I tried several other programs and nothing worked! this program was a great rec! Thanks! :P :o :D :D <_< :D