Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

40GB IDE currently installed want to replace it...

• Please log in to reply

alfredthehobo

alfredthehobo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
40GB IDE currently installed want to replace it witha 80GB SATA. I want to install my copy of windows that I have on my 40GB onto my 80GB and transfer my files that I need over to my 80GB, how will I do this? I am upgrading my processor from a P4 2.6 and 9600 pro to a AMD643200 and a 6800GT. How can I go about doing this and can i run into any problems?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I ask a similar question a while back: you cant transfer windows across as it will lack the drivers needed for you new hardware to get the data just put the old 40 gig into the system.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Warriorscot is right. If you are upgrading from a P4 to Athlon64 you will obviously be replacing the motherboard as well.
This means the motherboard drivers will be different as well as the video card drivers etc. Even if you kept the old 40GB IDE drive as the primary boot drive, the current install of windows is likely to crash on the new hardware.
You best bet is to install the sata drive on the new system & install fresh copy of XP to it, and all the new drivers etc. When you have everything install, you can copy your old files (own files, not windows files) to the new drive. You won't be able to copy over windows or your programs this way though.