Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recurring Homepage/Popup Nightmares. Please Help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ldee

Ldee

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello all,
I have had this problem for a day now and i cant fix it with anything. My homepage has been hijacked and there are lots of pop ups. I have identified some of the offending components (i think) but when i (or any adware/malware programs) try to delete them, they just come back a few seconds later. The option in internet options always reverts to "blank" but the page obviouisly is not blank it is some b*****ds rubbish search and links page. I am including the log file so if any one can give me any instructions or help i would very much appreciate that. Also i have gotten very confused during this whole thing over what some of the programs purport to do and how i can prevent this from happening in future, i am currently running microsoft antispyware, a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. I would like the simplest solution to keeping the computer clean, preferably one program to manage internet security. Anyway, thanks for reading, if anyone can help or wants more information from me, please email.
L Dee

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 04:17:06, on 24/06/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SSMS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LSSAS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\msmsgr2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Pork\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\DOCUME~1\Pork\LOCALS~1\Temp\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\DOCUME~1\Pork\LOCALS~1\Temp\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F6286FEF-0C72-409E-B374-6D9E1392D69B} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nimm.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [_Cat4] C:\WINDOWS\msmsgr2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdwareAlert] C:\Program Files\AdwareAlert\AdwareAlert.Exe -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sp] rundll32 C:\DOCUME~1\Pork\LOCALS~1\Temp\se.dll,DllInstall
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: VIA RAID TOOL.lnk = C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe
O18 - Filter: text/html - {6033BD43-B04A-4DE8-8B35-8F5FDB682287} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nimm.dll
O18 - Filter: text/plain - {6033BD43-B04A-4DE8-8B35-8F5FDB682287} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nimm.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: COM+ Component Service (COMCSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\winmgnt.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: COM+ System Service (COMSS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\SSMS.EXE
O23 - Service: Network DDE Connections (NETDDEC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\winmgnt.exe (file missing)

Edited by Ldee, 23 June 2005 - 09:42 PM.

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi Ldee and welcome to the Geeks to Go Forums.

My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your log.

1. Go to Geeks to Go
. Click on My Controls at the top right hand corner of the window. (make sure you have signed in first)
. In the left hand column, click "View Topics"
. If you click on the title of your post, you will be taken there

2. Also, while at the My Controls page, check the box to the right of your post and then scroll down.
.Where it says "unsubscribe" click the pull-down menu and select "immediate email notification"

3. Please DELETE your current HJT program from its present location.

4. Download and run the following HijackThis autoinstall program from Here HJT needs to be in its own folder so that the program itself isn't deleted by accident. Having the backups could be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!

A. Close ALL windows except HJT

B. SCAN with HJT and SAVE LOG. (a notepad window will open with the log in it when you click Save Log) (Ctrl-A to'select all', Ctrl-C to 'copy')

C. POST the log in this thread using 'Add Reply' (Ctrl-V to 'paste')

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS MOST OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO THE FUNCTION OF YOUR COMPUTER

Regards,

Trevuren

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Trevuren is helping this user in her OTHER active thread. Closing this one, so he does not duplicate his own work.