Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Blaster Live 5.1 digital card

• Please log in to reply

Leonmoor

Leonmoor

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have just installed a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 digital card in the PCI slot (bottom one) of my motherboard, installed the software, connected the 2 pin digital cable from the card to the back of the CD/DVD drive as instructed by the manual.

I rebooted, waited for the usual Windows XP start....but my screen remained blank, the monitor does not even register that it is connected to the computer. I connected the monitor to another computer and it works fine.

My computer runs on XP home edition, 2.0GHz processor and 768 RAM, 40 Gb HD.
I have an on-board video card that is part of the motherboard...in other words I do not have a seperate video card in my machine.

So has for some reason the sound card changed the video driver settings?

I literally cannot get the computer to start....or if it has I would not know because the monitor remain blank. It does not even flicker at start up, not a sausage!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You can try putting that card in another PCI slot. You don't mention your motherboard type or model but you may have an interrupt conflict. This is not too common in XP, but was a bear in 9x, especially with that sound card and the DOS emulation drivers.

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 24 June 2005 - 05:01 AM.

Leonmoor

Leonmoor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have taken the card out of the computer but after reboot still have no screen display whatsoever!

A bit stuffed really, because I cannot see anything to see or to be able to change anything!

My motherboard is MS6577- VERSION 2.1

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Recheck all cable connections, molex connectors and memory seating. Physically unplug the computer's power cord from its power source. Plug it back in, try to power up while tapping the F8 Key and if successful, select Last Known Good Configuration.

Leonmoor

Leonmoor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorted!....many many thanks.

bad connection and using the last PCI slot seemed to be causing the problem....so thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Problem Resolved ..........

Glad to hear that you have things squared away.

Regards,