Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot, fail, boot again

• Please log in to reply

geckobox

geckobox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm at the end of my rope pretty much. I've seen similar problems throughout this forum, but none of the advice has helped. My XP system (which worked for months until today), will not load. Everytime it boots, it proceeds to the XPpro splash screen, then powers off and restarts. Again and again and again. I let it go almost 30 times around last night, hoping it would eventually work. Insanity! I've messed with the BIOS, used the recovery console to write a new boot sector, unplugged/removed all the "extra" hardware, nothing works. My only option left is to completely reinstall windows, but thought I would check here first to see if any of you lovely geeks had an answer to my dilema.

Any ideas?

+Trina+
[geckobox]

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you can boot into "Safe Mode" (usually tap F8 or the delete key) then you can turn off the auto restart.
Control Panel> System> Advanced> start up & recovery
This will allow Windows to give you the error causing the loop.

If you can boot into safe mode, and stop the loop, I would try a System Restore if Device Mgr looks okay.

Johanna

geckobox

geckobox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Nope, no safe mode... same problem, it keeps rebooting. That would be too easy, right? It never fully loads windows, so i can't see how that would help.

v-2chkb

v-2chkb

• Pip
  • 8 posts
1ST TRY TO UNPLUG ALL THE DEVICES EXEPCT FOR THE MOUSE KEYBOARD AND MONITOR PLUGGED IN AND RESTART THE COMPUTER.

IF YOU HAVE THE SP2 INSTALLED THEN PRESS F8 AND SELECT THE DISABLE AUTOMATIC RESTART OPTION AND CHECK IF THE COMPUTER RESTARTS? IF YES YOU CAN TRY ARTICLE# KB307454 IN WWW.SUPPORT.MICROSOFT.COM THIS IS A KING OF SYSTEM RESTORE..... AND DOME TIMES THE PROGRAMMES MAY NOT BE WORKING HERE MAKE SURE U TYPE THE COMMANDS CORRECTLY....THIS SHOULD WORK

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
It might even be spyware on your comptuer?

My mate had that problem as well and that is what he found it to be. Just another question, have you ever been able to use the PRO version of XP on the comptuer?

If so, what happened before it all went down hill?

Edited by Tony_1983, 24 June 2005 - 08:19 PM.