Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ituens playlist help

• Please log in to reply

samcool4u

samcool4u

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello
recently my windows hd was showing problems with boot ups, it had my itunes and big mp3 collection with alot of playlits.(smart ones and custome ones aswell).

my itunes songs folder is in hd2

so i decided to install windowsxp on a different hd with new itunes..
then i just draggeed my songs folder on ituens .and now i dont have my old playlist .

all i want to know.. is there any way to get my old itunes playlists back.. some how.

p.s i havent formatted my previous windows insallation. i can acces the progarm files there.
thank alot for all you help

Advertisements

Chadduss

Chadduss

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok, what you want to do is open iTunes. Once it's open go to file - import. In the dialog box where it says "Text files" click there and then click on "XML Files". Navigate to the old Windows installation and find the iTunes folder and double click on the XML file. That should do it unless you don't have the file anymore.

samcool4u

samcool4u

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Ok, what you want to do is open iTunes. Once it's open go to file - import. In the dialog box where it says "Text files" click there and then click on "XML Files". Navigate to the old Windows installation and find the iTunes folder and double click on the XML file. That should do it unless you don't have the file anymore.

View Post

i did exactly as u said. i opened itunes>>import.. and looked for xml files. but there is not a singel xml file . in program files>>itunes
shoud the xml file be in the old program files>> itunes.
or is in the itunes .. songss.. folder
and what is its called something.xml ??
thnx alot

Chadduss

Chadduss

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm sorry, I wasn't specific enough. It's not in program files - iTunes, it would be in your old my document folder under My Music. It should be called iTunes.xml

samcool4u

samcool4u

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thnx.. i did all that. all my playlits came up right..
my smart playlists are all fine
but my custom playlists are there but nothing.. is in them ?? :tazz:
can i fix this.. in any way?
thnx

Chadduss

Chadduss

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
As long as you have the same directory structure as before everything should work. It could be that iTunes is pointing to the old song directory on HD2. Copy all the songs into the "iTunes Music" folder on the new hard drive under My Music\iTunes.

samcool4u

samcool4u

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah.. i think when i insatalled itunes.i had added some new songs.. to that itunes sogns folder.. when i did... it must have restructured the file structure.. thats prolly why.. ur right.
thanx alot. for ur help :tazz: