Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Counter-Strike: Source

• Please log in to reply

hvc801

hvc801

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
[FONT=Impact]Hello, I'm new to the forum, and was hoping to find someone that could help me... So heres the problem. I just got Battlefield 2 ... i play the game ... works great, installed the newest drivers for my nVidia card, and got the new directx9c ... i just finished playing bf2 and want to play some counter-strike. I go to load the game, and it says "Failed to set video mode - resetting to defaults game will now restart with new video settings" I hit ok. it resets. and now i get the same message, i hit ok once more and then i get a new message that says - "Failed to set video mode - This game has minimum requirements of DirectX 7.0 compatible hardware." Whats going on????? I know I installed the newest Direct X and now it wont let me play? I'm a pretty big computer junkie, but this just stumps me....

Any help is highly appriciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Specs please

hvc801

hvc801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
why do you need specs???????

my computer ripped when playing hl2 / counter strike ... you dont need specs...

^tree

^tree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
yea hes got a point. im assuming ur new drivers are the problem. could u paly the game befor they got updated? i know that when i first reformated my computer i had the same problem, but then i got the nw drivers from nvidia and htey worked great. What vid card r u using and what drivers did u install?

^tree

^tree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Scratch that im now officaly eating my own words... uhh i just went to play source and i have the same issue as u..lol.. so anyone know how to fix it?

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
The reason I ask for specs is cuz u may be using none compatable drivers

^tree

^tree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
no hes using compatible drivers im using the same ones its just that i think the game might have a glitch cause its deffinatly not the drivers. i got em right off the nvidia website and i assume he did too. and yes.. i downloaded the right ones not ones for a diferent vid card.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Hmm...source works fine on the BF2 drivers on my pc. hmm....try reinstalling the game maybe? Do other games work. Also..maybe wait it out..this could be a bug and Valve may fix it themselves

^tree

^tree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
im thinking its a valve bug because these drivers are brand new so they might have done somthing to it i dunno.

hvc801

hvc801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Im happy now that im not the only one ... algith im gunna check now .. thanks guys

Advertisements

da_houghsta

da_houghsta

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Had the exact same problem here. system was running fine, installed HL2, updated the drivers (from version 56.72 to 77.72) for the graphics cars (geforce fx5200), tried to play hl2 and got up to fuzzy screen and got that msg. also i found that in windows media player, the videos were coming out wierd looking - like they were too pixilated and not many colours. i still have the executable to my old drivers (56.72), so i re-installed those, windows media player worked fine, tried hl2, did continue anyway when it asked about the drivers, and it worked fine - well considering that my system is getting old anyway. so mabey its not the game - mabey its the drivers thats stuffing up? hope this helps!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Apparently, many 5200 users are getting this error with the latest driver (version 77.72).

Try dropping down to version 71.89.

I have seen this on various forums. try dropping back to the next previous release of the driver and see what happens.

^tree

^tree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok thanks but i think its nvidia new drivers all together cause im usign a peace of crab MX440 64 mg and its got the same error. but i just changed master harddrives and installed a new OS so i got no drivers from befor. anyone know if the older ones are on the nvidia website? well anyway im sure ill find them on the net sumwhere.

zefly

zefly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Link to 71.89 That should be the right one.

Opticon4Prez

Opticon4Prez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You can solve the issue fairly easily by removing a registry entry using regedit and still use the WHQL 77.72 drivers.

Full Details

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{YOUR-GUID}\0000

The GUID on yours will be different, but generally it's the furthest one down the list. The 0000 is likely the same (first adapter under that id).

Now delete any entries starting with:

_hl2.exe:

Even though entries will appear in your NVIDIA panel, the values associated with them are gone and you can either forget about it or set defaults or redo your profile.

That's it! HL2/CSS works again!

Edited by Opticon4Prez, 21 July 2005 - 01:11 AM.