Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro activation problem

• Please log in to reply

espokane

espokane

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I was given a newer PC with 36GB hdd/1.2GHz Athlon that I'd like to use as a spare networked storage box. The donor said the flaky guy who built it apparently used that same XP Pro activation key on more than one machine. She had contacted MS, who told her she needed to buy a new license.

It currently boots with a temporary key, which has expired once already.

Let's assume that the XP on this machine is indeed not valid. I have a second older PC with a little 4GB hdd. It has a perfectly valid installation of XP Pro. I plan to retire that machine and reformat the hdd for another use.

I do not have Windows installation disks for either machine.

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer ownership from one machine to the other? I "own" at least one valid installation between the two boxes, right? (I have contacted MS, but thought I'd see what I could learn here while I wait for them to respond.)

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Unless you are looking at an OEM XP cd, the ownership is NOT tied to the system but to the key code..

If you do have a legitimate XP key code, you should be able to use any retail XP cd to install XP.. just make sure you use your key code..

The install will have to be activated so Microsoft will know if the Key Code is valid or not..

Murray