Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell lcd

• Please log in to reply

smithg1955

smithg1955

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My daughter has a Dell Latitude desktop which will power up ok sometimes provided it is connected to the mains. Under its own power it boots up until Windows opens up then shuts itself down. Sometimes the LCD display goes strange on boot up even when connected via mains but works perfectly when mains powered and connected to an external crt. Is the bootup - shut down thing something to do with a power management setting? Is the LCD thing a faulty LCD or could it be a connection thing. The reason I'm asking all these questions is that I have just done a complete stripdown and the only fault I've found is a broken exhaust fan and I would like to attempt a fix before I reassemble.

George

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bad battery?

Start with a power supply, then remove it with the power control panel open and the battery level indicators on....does it quckly drop to 0?

smithg1955

smithg1955

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks GerryF I'll try that when I reassemble.

smithg1955

smithg1955

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've reassembled and the LCD is working perfectly. I tried powering up via power lead and then disconnecting with the power control window open but it dies immediately the power cord is removed. There is a little button on the battery which when pressed lights up 5 green LEDs which I assume indicates full charge. Could there be a mboard or bios setting that needs tweaking?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, I doubt that very much...

I believe your assumption is correct on the charge,which means another problem exists.

The computer is still working (from what you can tell?) when the lcd links out? Or is it completely shutting down?

The LCD is the biggest power draw on your system. There are several componants in a laptop that are different then desktops, including a dc to dc board, which regulates voltage...that could be failing.

There is also the backlight on the LCD---cannot see why that would work when connected to power, but not on battery, though.