Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looks Like Safe Mode But Isn't

• Please log in to reply

Archiebunk

Archiebunk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is stuck in something that looks like safe mode. The words safe mode are not in the corner so I know I'm not in safe mode. I tried going into my settings and change my monitor settings. Right now I only have two choices 2 or 16 colors and my pixel choice is only 640 and it won't allow me to go any higher. Let me know if you have any advice and Thank You in advance.

Archiebunk

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Odds are you're missing your video card drivers, right click on My Computer, choose Properties, then Device Manager, look for Display Adapter, expand it, if it doesn't list the actual device type, if it just says "standard vga" or such, then the proper drivers aren't installed.. You may have to open the case, look at the card or circuit to find th; right part number and go to the mfrs web site to find the right drivers. Do you know what kind of display adapter you have?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Looks like you either re-formatted your system and forgot to load the proper video card drivers or they corrupted..

In either case, you need to install the proper drivers for your video card!!

Murray

Archiebunk

Archiebunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My adaptor is a Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA).

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

My adaptor is a Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA).

View Post

That message means the right drivers aren't loaded, if they were it would say the correct part number of the adapter.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No it isn't.. That's what Windows will call it when it doesn't know what the video card actually is..

Did you get a systemboard driver cd with your computer as the drivers will be on there.. Otherwise, you will need to go to the manufacturers website and see if you can get them from there..

Murray