Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp 2002-sony viao system

• Please log in to reply

pearlharbor

pearlharbor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Not sure where to start. First of all I am not computer savy at all. I have Comcast Internet as my internet service. These are the problems that I have.

1. In April I had renewed my Norton AntiVirus 2004 using the link it gave me. In May my computer started running slow. It would take several minutes for my computer to start up (maybe 3 minutes) and when I would click on Internet Explorer Icon to try and start surfing the internet ( sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes for a web site to come up). During this sametime my Ad-aware program that I was using did not work correctly(I don't think it every worked the way it should of). I would run the program and it would reach a certain point and it would lock up.

2. At this point I called my internet providor (Comcast) to check and see if maybe there might of been problems in my area with a slow connection and the rep told me that everything was running good on there end and that my connection was at 100%. I told them of the problems I am having with the Ad-aware program and they told me that I should un-install it and install the same program or to try a different anti-spyware from there web site. So I did. I removed the Ad-aware and install "Security Manager". The security manager stops pop ups and has parental block features that you can use.

3. During the week of June the 13th my virus protection started popping up telling me that it needed to be updated, which I have tried to do several times, for some reason it will not update. I have search high and low for a customer service number to call them but I have not found one. I have looked on the web site and have tried to link to other web sites thru there system,( to get customer service help thru the web site) but my computer either brings up a blank page or it never loads up.

4. I have ran a PC clean up system/repair thru Sony Vaio and it said that everything was fine. I have ran another Pc system repair thru the Comcast home page and it said the samething and as of yesterday 6/22 & 6/23 I have ran a Mcfee Stinger(I have tried to run this twice and each time the computer shuts off) . I guesse prior to this my son noticed that when he went to use the computer sometimes he finds that it's completey shot off and no one is claiming to shut it off.

I am at my witts end and have no idea what to do next or where to start. My computer is still under warranty thru a Big Name electronics store, but last year when I had a problem it took them almost two months to fix a problem. We had a power surge that took out the mother board.

Advertisements

pearlharbor

pearlharbor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just wanting to make sure I understand. Do I go to the Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here and try all of these steps? What if I have a problem where my computer starts to freeze/lock up or it shuts it self off? Do I also removed my Security Manager System(anti-pop up block )?

Thanks for any help :tazz: