Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W32/Alcan.worm!p2p found 4 days ago

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Before starting the final cleanup procedures, how is your system running?

Trevuren

Advertisements

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Actually, My system is running great! I guess I have all my files. All my programs run the way they are supposed to. The only problems that I still have are accessing my websites that I do business with. I looked at my internet options file in the control pannel and security is at medium. So, really I don't know why I can't go to these websites, and others.

Jamica

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
When you try to access those websites, please describe what:

1. Happens

2. Error messages you get.

Thanks,

Trevuren

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok, like Hotmail, I can get to the hotmail site ok. I type in my username and password then get this message: In the bar up above it says "Cannot find server- Microsoft Internet Explorer" and on the page the message says "The page cannot be displayed."

I tried going to www.buttonshoppe.com and got the same messages.

Jamica

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Try this and get back to me after attempting to get to those favorite sites of yours.

Download the following program HOSTER.
Unzip and run the program. You will be presented with a screen where you will find the following option:Restore Microsoft Original Hosts. Press it and Close the program.

Trevuren

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok, did what you wanted for Hoster. Went back to both Hotmail and buttonshoppe.com and recieved both the same messages- cannot find server and this page cannot be displayed. Now, when I was having problems with my pc and before I found my buggies, I got messages talking about my email program. I don't use Outlook, but I think that may have gotten damaged by either the virus or the trojan. The various website problems just started happening after I found the buggies.

Jamica

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I could send you on a wild goose chase but, based upon what you just told me, I think the wiser course of action would be to uninstall that program and reinstall it again.

Trevuren

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
You mean uninstall Hoster and then reinstall it?

Jamica

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Your mail program that could be causing your problem.

Trevuren

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I don't know how to do that.

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Check in your Restricted Zones to see if those 2 sites of yours are there. If they are, remove them.

To Edit the Sites in your Restricted Zone
  • Open Internet Explorer.
  • On your Toolbar, locate and select Tools>>Internet Options>>Security>>Sites.
  • Scroll down the list of sites that are present and select the one that you want to gain access to by highlighting it, then click Remove.
  • Repeat this procedure for every site that you want to be able to visit again.
  • After you have finished editing, click OK.
  • Exit the program.
Trevuren

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Oh god, what is my restricted zone and where do I find it? and it isn't just the sites in my favorites. I could be googling something and when I click on the link to go to that page I will get the same messages. Yesterday I was looking at some members websites here at g2g and came across some that I couldn't access due to those messages.

Jamica

BTW, to access my email I never use outlook. I just open up IE and go to hotmail.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I just gave you instructions on how to find and edit anything in your restricted zones.

Trevuren

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok. The message is there are no sites in the restricted zone

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I will ask some other people to look in and have a peek at your problem.

Don't expect an answer tonight :tazz:

Trevuren