Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware- Help me please [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Hi wfelter2000,

Now comes the tricky part. Make sure you follow these instructions to a T. Do not deviate from them at all, if you do, bad things may happen. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them before you start the fix ;)

Go to My Computer >Tools >Folder Options >View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled. Also make sure that the System Files and Folders are showing / visible. Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files option.

Please go to start>my computer then navigate to this file:

C:\Windows\System32\wininet.dll

right click on it and rename it to wininet.old

go to your C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, rightclick on the wininet.dll present there, choose copy and paste it in your system32-folder.

*Note - It could be possible you will get an error saying the file already exists when you try to paste the good one in your system32-folder.
If it gives an error, just reboot

Reboot

Please remove just the files from the following paths using Windows Explorer (if present):

C:\Windows\System32\wininet.old
C:\Windows\System32\oleadm.dll

please post and let me know the results.

Thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

Advertisements

wfelter2000

wfelter2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Excal, did as you said but couldn't find oleadm.dll. Even did a search for it and it wasn't found. Found wininet.old and deleted it. The puter still is verrry slowww! Have to wait several minutes for a browser to open or right click on the desktop for the pop up menu to open etc. ;)
Thanks Excal.
Bill :tazz:

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Bill,

Have you tried cycling your modem? (shut computer off, unplug the modem and router for 60 seconds, plug back in, turn computer back on)

:tazz:

Excal

wfelter2000

wfelter2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah, I tried that. I don't even have the router hooked up now. I'm hooked up direct to the DSL modem now. I've shut that down and disconnected that from the power also. Seems like any funtion that I try is slowed down. whether it's surfing the web, clicking on a favorite,opening a program.etc. When I click on start a blank menu opens and I have to wait for that to load(minutes). Then all programs, another blank menu and so on and so on. I'm thinking of doing a XP repair. I mean just to get to this site it took several minutes. ;) :tazz:

Thanks for your time.
Bill

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
k lets try something first.

go to start, run, then type cmd and hit ok

type in ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter. Reboot and see if this helps any.

Excal

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Bill,

I had success with this last nite, lets try this.

Please download Trend Micro™ Anti-Spyware for the Web Utility (by clicking the "Scan and Clean your PC" button).
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click the new icon on your desktop (tmas-web-scan.exe)
  • It will say "Loading TrendMicro definitions".
  • Once the definitions are loaded, the program will appear to close then re-open.
  • Click "Start Scan"
  • After it's done scanning, click "Scan Results"
  • Make sure all items found have a check next to them, then click "Clean Threats Now".
  • Click Exit.
Reboot your computer. In place of the TrendMicro icon will be a text file called "Antispyware.log", please double-click that log and copy the entire contents and paste them here.

wfelter2000

wfelter2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
;) I surender Excal. I'm on my daughters laptop. TM Scanner froze last nite. So I tried again with the same results. Well, I'm in the middle of re-formating! I didn't want to but it gave me no choice. Nothing would run! :tazz: ;) Thanks for your unlimited help! :help: I'll post here to let you know whats going on :help:

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

re-formating

ACK!!! Say it isn't so!!! We came sooooo far!! :tazz:

Excal

wfelter2000

wfelter2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry Excal. But I'm up and running great now! I really appreciate your devoted help.You are a great credit to Geekstogo :tazz: ! Thanks again man ;) ! My computer didn't give me a choice. I was unable to connect to the internet or even run any program.
Thank You.
Bill

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements