Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IPOD and USB problems

• Please log in to reply

jeffabel

jeffabel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, new to the board and looking for help. My computer suddenly stopped recognizing my IPOD via usb. I get an error message saying unknown device....
It worked only 3 days ago. Any suggestions?

Jeff

Advertisements

TogTogTogTog

TogTogTogTog

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
What type of Ipod?

Because my friends ipod did the same thing and he had to reset it, then when that didn't work get it replaced. :tazz:

jeffabel

jeffabel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Its a 20 g IPOD.

TogTogTogTog

TogTogTogTog

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I think its the same problem his was a 40gig.

Have you reset it?

jeffabel

jeffabel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No, haven't reset it. I was able to get the fire-wire to work so at least I can doe something. I have 4 of them in my household and the usb doesn't recognize any of them. Has to be a driver issue.

Jeff

YoungFresh2Def

YoungFresh2Def

• Pip
  • 6 posts
That same [bleep] happen to me. I went to the Apple Store and it is reconized on their Macs and [bleep]. So a Firewire will work then? I got a 60Gig, where should I go get a Firewire? Target or something?

YoungFresh2Def

YoungFresh2Def

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hye I just got a Fire Wire and my iPOD still is not detected by iTunes..any ideas?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
New usb drivers you need drivers for your ipod thats why it is an unknown device. Never had an ipod( im no fashion victim) but you must have gottem a disc of required software of some sort.

VB_Geek_ORE

VB_Geek_ORE

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had the same problem. In order to see my iPod outside iTunes, I use the following workaround:
Launch iTunes
Connect to my iPod
Click 'Display iPod Options' in the lower right corner
Click the 'Enable Disk Use' check box

Doing this iTunes will give you a warning that you must manually dismount your iPod. XP should immediately find your iPod as a disk drive and try to install the driver, just click FINISH. I've just moved files around and then reset the 'Enable Disk Use' check box to OFF when I'm done. This seems to work even though the driver installation throws an error that looks like the driver is not installed correctly (it probably isn’t, but I can still explore to my iPod and get to files). Yeah, it’s ugly. :tazz: But possibly you can get to your files!

Hope this works for you.

MJ

YoungFresh2Def

YoungFresh2Def

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Here is what I did. I got a FireWire...uninstalled everything iPOD related, including iTUNEs, then I just re-installed everything and now everything is back to normal with the firewire.

russian master

russian master

• Pip
  • 3 posts
...or you could have probably just held down the menu and center buttions while charging it for 10 seconds

YoungFresh2Def

YoungFresh2Def

• Pip
  • 6 posts

...or you could have probably just held down the menu and center buttions while charging it for 10 seconds

View Post

Nope couldn't due to the fact that at first I thought it was an iPOD problem so I exchanged my iPOD for a brand NEW one and nothing USB wise was even being read. So then I bought the Firewire, it was read but not coming up on iTUNES, that's when I re-installed everything iPOD related and it worked. But the USB still doesn't work.