Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checking CPU temp

• Please log in to reply

ninertexanfan

ninertexanfan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok I fianlly got a my CT-7NJL and Sempron 2800+ working. Several questions. First it shows the it is 1.16 mhz when it is supposed to be a 1.99mhz . Researching problems I once saw a post about going into the bios and fixing it but now cant find. Second I noticed there was thermal grease beyond just the little square that happened when I had a hard time putting on the heatsink fan. I got most of it off with a q tip but I am woried about not having enough grease now. How can I check the temperature on the processor and what is a good temperature. Also my mouse light and 3.5 light stay on all the time even with everything disconnected from the motherboard except of course the mouse and the power cord to the floppy I mean memory power switches everything.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well they are plugged in so they are going to be on without a power managment software running they will be kept on awaiting input, an input device is no good if it isnt on. You know its a really daft question input devices are generally on all the time whats the point of the question its not like its going to mess up your sytem cause your mouse light is on.

You can use a thermometer with a probe and place it at the base of the hsf. You can also check it in bios usually it tells you somewhere although its been a while since i played around with mine so i cant remeber.

To access the advanced chipset features menu in which the clock speeds can be changed you need to press a key configuration to get to it(its hidden CTRL + F1 but it isnt the same on everyboard.

But read your motherboard instructions thouroghly you know most of what you have asked should be contained in the manual so rather than ask other people to read your manual and find the answers try it yourself.

ninertexanfan

ninertexanfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok did read the manual and perhaps you misunderstood on the mouse light its on when the sytem is off. Short of disconnecting the power cord it and the green floppy light are always on. My bios does not let me check the temperature. I read the book a million times and I jst dont understand what to change to fix the CPu. Sorry if this offended you but the book does not say anything about the constant power and I just dont understand what all needs to be changed for XP to recognize or at least operate in my processors speed not looking to overclock

csu266

csu266

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Warrior u really do have a stick up ur backside lol. Just because you sit at your comp all day and know most of the stuff dosnt mean everyone else should, this is why we have these forums. People have every right to be worried if they think something is not right when in reality its fine, which is why they come on here and ask. If u feel these are stupid questions and annoy u so much then please do not read them and reply to them. Whatever advice you have given is good but do not criticize or put people down if they ask questions, it is better to ask stupid questions than to not ask questions at all. Since this is a forum, people can ask and answer at their leisure, noone is pushing anyone to do, so as I said, if you do not like it then dont answer. I am new to this website and I have read many posts that you have replied to and you have been a complete jerk to people including myself. So why dont you calm down, get a life and grow up.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im not being a jerk im being as quick as i can to answer a problem. The easiest way to fix a problem is to find an answer yourself if someone else answers your questions for you you learn nothing. How do you think i learned anything about computers sure i took classes in it but it wasnt up to date and didnt deal with actual everyday problems. Read the manuals the building websites the forums and such, thats how you learn all the little problems and solutions its interesting and i at least enjoy it.

I occasionaly get annoyed when people havent taken the time to read through the previous posts and then post an identical question as you did do the answer to your origianl question was like two posts down. And i did help you with your problem wasnt like i said: well thats your problem, the only time i said anything that may have seemed derogatory was when you seemingly did something that was a little daft and jumped the gun a bit. You know someone who doesnt even bother trying to help anyone has no right to comment on someone who is.

I thought he meant when the pc was on his mouse light was on that was what i read in the context i apologise if you were offended by me calling the question daft.

If you dont like the way i answer dont read the reply. It takes 15 mins in a day to read this forum for new stuff in a day and if im downloading i may as well give some people a hand if they have a problem. Im hardly sitting here in a fuming rage calling people daft, lol, dont take yourself to seriously i dont take myself that seriously: if i insulted your frail sensiblity im sorry i meant no offense to anyone, unless you want to say something worthwhile perhaps you shouldnt say anything at all because if i insulted someone it was wholly unintentional what you just posted wasnt unintentional maybe you should think hard on what you said and grow up a bit yourself, in future if you wish to say something deregotary yourself dont flame the forum PM me. We can schedule a time down the monkey bars for a scrap, lol.

Right you might want to try and start from scratch. unplug everything lay it put check for damage and then reinstall everything, and reseting the cmos while you do this i often find that by backtracking and starting again with the experience of the last time you can fix the problem without even nowing what you have done.

Edited by warriorscot, 26 June 2005 - 08:49 AM.

csu266

csu266

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
When someone else answers your questions for you, you learn nothing? Then what is school for? Dont you go and ask someone questions, and from their answer you go AHH thats how you do it, I could not figure it out. THERE you learnt something. Ah I did not know that my temps were normal, so they are great, i learnt something, something that was not posted on the AMD websites or my manual. Most knowledge sites claim that an idle temp of 32 is normal and a max temp of 42 is normal, thats is why I got worried at my temps. But now I LEARNT from your replies that they are infact NORMAL.

The original question two posts down from mine asks people if a temp of 34 degrees was good, obviously that is good and that was not my question. Mine was if my computer is running too hot if it is idling at 48 and max at 57. A question not so easily answered by AMD themselves or most knowledge bases.

"You know someone who doesnt even bother trying to help anyone has no right to comment on someone who is." Well I am new at this, this is the first time I have built my own computer from scratch and I may know how to fix basic problems but I am not one to jump up and down and give someone advice on things I do not fully understand, it is better not to give someone advice that will make it worse for them but rathar sit back, see what someone who knows the subject well has to say and learn from it so you can help other people in the future. But if that someone is being a jerk from giving the advice and not really helping then that someone has no right to give advice in the first place and nobody has to listen to that. If you would have taken the time to look through this forum you would have seen that I have helped a couple of people with whatever I had to offer, may not have been much but I still did it. And I am new to this website, I have only been posting and viewing this page for about 2-3 weeks now.

Well actually I did not really get offended but I believe someone like yourself should lighten up a bit instead of bashing someone for asking questions. Just because you did not read your manual dosnt mean you should not ask questions. Again, this is why we have forums, you ask a question, maybe a stupid one and if people have the time they will answer it or point you in the right direction, instead you went the other route and bashed the person for not reading their manual.

Bashing someone and them claiming that it was purely unintentional is pure BS. This is a forum, think before you type and make sure you do not say anything unintentional, read it over before you post it then you will know wether what you said was intentional or unintentional. This is what I mean by growing up. I am grown up as what I posted was def intentional and I got my point through which is what I wanted. Which was to tell you to lighten up.

Finally, your advice is great and it helps everyone out a lot as you do know a lot about this stuff, even myself. Now I can stop pulling my hair out on my temps. I did go a bit overboard on that and I do appreciate the advice. I dont mean to cause a big problem here as there is no point in fighting as we are all adults. In future, if I post a question I will try to make sure it is not stupid so as to not offend you haha. I think we took this overboard and I apologize and hopefully we can put this behind us.

P.S. I dont know how to PM on this website.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its in the control panel i think. You know all this because i said it was a daft question and suggesting he go read his mobo manual is a bit over the top i was hardly telling him to [bleep] off was i, i wasnt bashing him i only told him to read his manual because if it was a well written manual it would have answered his question: we can now deduce it wasnt a well written manual.

In my school they asked us the questions and expected us to find the answers ourselves, if you didnt have the answer they would give you the answer and it didnt do any good as we had no clue how to get it, they then gave us more questions to do. I went to a crap school we had to teach ourselves: computing because our teacher still thought macs were good computers and thought SATA was some kind of space program.

I dont tend to dress up my writing style maybe thats why you think i am typing angrily: i get to the point. Ive not been posting much longer than you know, it doesnt take long to learn all the wee bits about computers if you want to you just have to have enough patience to read through all the crap on the interweb. And if that was bad you should have tried sitting advanced physics the teacher took longer to do the problems than we did half the time we corrected him.

Yes back to the problem at hand no more flaming the forum, your best bet is just to start over and reset your bios. Also you might be able to download a more up to date/complete mobo manual.

Now i need to go back to fixing this goosed laptop, its driving me bloody insane.

csu266

csu266

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Why what happened to your laptop? Oh by the way I saw your post on your new comp, looks pretty good, similar to mine but you have a bigger hd. And I remember when I turned 18, it was fun, now I just turned 21 so its even better. Its all down hill from here so I hear.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
yeah i heard that too lol. My laptops cd drive now only works when the laptop is sitting on its side and that causes it to heat up. I was trying to install win xp as the drive will spin on startup and then do the dyin act. As you can imagine trying to install win xp with a goosed cd drive is a bit of a hassle it usually dies half way through loading the main menu.
I cant complain the laptop was a freebie and it still works ok with the 2000 pro it came with its just a bit slow and finnicky it suddenly decided it didnt like sonicstage which was a shame since it was all i used the laptop for. Ach ill have my new pc soon and be listening to my music on a creative 5.1 system. Hopefully ill have two hard drives before to long just think how much music i could have on a 400Gb raid 0 the thought is to good to bare.

Yos its my birthday.

csu266

csu266

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
that sucks, well I guess your only solution is to wait for your new comp. 400gb's..i cant even think about how much space that is lol, I have 2 80gb's and im barely even 1/4 full on both. Yeah I have a altec lansing 5.1 surround sound hooked up to my comp, sounds pretty good while watching movies like matrix, star wars. Enjoy ur comp when u get it.