Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

mickyjtwin

mickyjtwin

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
In our apartment, we have cable Internet. It connects into a router, and we feed off the connection from there. The computer at the moment obviously has Internet, it always has worked fine. I brought a computer home today(both computers running XP Pro) and when I plugged it in, it connected to the network, i.e. obtained an IP address, however I cannot connect to the Internet. I'm not sure why it's not working. I've brought home our work laptop before(using XPHome) and once I plugged the network cable in, it worked fine.
I've gone to internet network setup, and done the whole connect manually, connect to a connection that is always on, but still no luck.
If I plug the connection straight into the cable box, I get limited or no connectivity, but the computer that was originally here, it connects that way fine.
ANother thing, the IP address of this working computer is 24.(value).0.(value), the subnet mask is 255.255.240.0, and the default gateway is 24.(value).0.(value).
When the other computer connects to the network, it's IP address is 192.168.0.some value, and the mask is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is 192.168.0.1.
Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, here is the deal, there are two different types of DHCP servers, Authoritative, and NON-Authoritative. An authoritative DHCP server, will see that a computer has had an automatic address assigned before, and knowingly reset that address to one that can be used on it's network. A non-authoritative DHCP server, will see that a computer has had an automatic address before, and will leave it alone thinking that it may still be able to access the old network.
First thing to try, at a command prompt on the computer that isn't working, type: ipconfig /release, press enter, then type ipconfig /renew, this will give it an address, if it is a 192.168.?.? number, then you should be able to connect. If it gives it the same 24.?.?.? number, then you will need to manually configure the LAN settings on the adapter. To manually assign the number, you will want to use a: 192.168.0.? (? = any number other than 1, 255, and the number you already have assigned to the first computer. I would recommend something below 100 since the DHCP server more than likely starts handing out addresses at 100. You will then want to "Enable NetBios over TCP/IP" by clicking the Advanced button on the properties page, then navigate to the tab that says "WINS", at the bottom you will see the option.

Hope this helps

Greazy Mcgeezy

mickyjtwin

mickyjtwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok, tried that, still no go.
The cable internet automatically assigns a IP address and all that jazz. And for some reason, this computer picks it up as 24.?.?.? with the subnet being 255.255.240.0 and the gateway being 24.?.?.?. The only way I can access the other computer in the WORKGROUP is by manually assigning the other computer an IP address and subnet in this computers range. Then I can view the folders on that computer, however still no Internet. When I let the other computer automatically assign an IP address, it is a 192.168.?.? with subnet of 255.255.255.0. THen I can't view the WORKGROUP at all, obviously still no Internet. It's very frustrating as I don't know much about this, and I'd just like it to work. Also, on this working computer, the Internet adapter says Connected, but the other one says Enabled. Does that mean anything?
It's weird that when this computer plugs directly into the cable, it connects, but the other one says I have limited or no connectivity????

mickyjtwin

mickyjtwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The hardware I'm using is this....
Obviously cable modem, and a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router model BEFSR41. Now, the router has 4 connections ports, and uplink and a WAN port. At present, i have the cable modem cable going into the number 1 port on the router, and the computers coming off 2 and 3. Is this right?
Just as an experiment, I connected the cable modem to the WAN port, and when i ipconfig/release renew, i got an IP of 192.168.?.? but the Internet would work. When I put it back, the IP went back to 24.?.?.?
Hope this can shed some light on the situation!!

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
That's your problem Mickey. You have the modem connected to port 1. You need to plug the modem into the WAN port. That gives your router's external interface the 24.?.?.? IP address. Then the internal interface on your router, which is also the gateway on your LAN, becomes 192.168.?.? Now, since your computers should be set to DHCP, they will receive an address from the router that is also a 192.168.?.? IP. Those are called private IP addresses. They are set aside for private networks. The 24.?.?.? IP address that you are seeing, is your public IP address. That is the IP assigned by your ISP so you can communicate with the public network (internet). So to sum it all up:

Modem -----> Router's WAN port ------> Router Ports 1, 2, 3, 4 -------> computers.

IP addresses on the internal network including the router will be a 192.168.?.? IP.
The external interface on the router will be a 24.?.?.? IP with the 255.255.240.0 subnet mask. You will see that your subnet mask automatically gets assigned 255.255.255.0. DON'T TOUCH THAT. Your gateway IP on the computers should then be the IP of your router.

Greazy Mcgeezy