Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smitfrad virus has me stumped! Please help! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi crowfoot

I am sorry but at geekstogo we will not support any software cracks

It is safer you try and buy the CD Win98se but that is up to you .

Kc :tazz:

Advertisements

crowfoot

crowfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello thatman,

Unfortunately, I don't!

Almost, thought you forgot about me, lol!!!

I've checked with dll-files.com but the only wininet.dll file they have apparently is for Win32 v.6.00.2600.0000 and I believe I need the Win32, v5.00.2614.3500 Internet Extension for Win98 SE.

There's various Warez sites where serials and cracks can be found for Win98 SE but I don't know if the software is availiable on-line. Nor, do I know if this would be of any help in resolving this problem. Also, after searching Google, there would appear to be a number of programs around that claim to be able to resolve .ddl file issues providing you pay some sort of fee. Obviously, I wish to avoid this as I don't know if this will, or will not, help out in this matter.

Crowfoot.

crowfoot

crowfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello thatman,

I can appreciate the fact that geekstogo does not support software cracks, but are you saying it is not possible to persue this matter any further without the Win98 SE disk?

If so, could you please provide me with a little more detail as to why this is necessary or any other options I might look into.

Thanks,

Crowfoot

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi crowfoot

I am still looking to find a wininet.dll from some place

Will let you know, you to can try to find the file you need also.

How about asking people at work or school.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi crowfoot

My thanks to noahdfear for this: The fix for the wininet.dll

Easiest way is with Power Archiver. http://www.oldversio...am.php?n=powarc
Just double click to open and see the contents, then right click and extract the file to the desktop to view properties.
file check cabs 38, 39 and 40 in the options folder.

I have also attached the wininet.dll also.

Let me know when you are ready to continue.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Hi crowfoot!

Hi thatman!

Hope you don't mind me poking in. :tazz: I'd just like to add a bit more detail to your instructions.

wininet.dll is a needed system file. You should have a copy in WIN98_43.cab and WIN98_44.cab (zip files) in the C:\Windows\options folder. If you download and install Power Archiver 611 (last free version), you can simply double click those cab files and PA will open them without extracting. Locate the wininet.dll file, right click and extract it to your desktop, then check it's properties. If it's the one you need, copy it to the C:\Windows\system folder. Then click start>run and type regsvr32 wininet.dll then hit enter.

Alternatively, you could extract and use the copy thatman attached, which I extracted from the 98 SE cd. ;)

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Umm, is this you crowfoot?

http://forums.techgu...60&page=1&pp=10

crowfoot

crowfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello thatman and noahdfear,

Thank you both for the replies and, yes, that is me on the techguy forum.

I originally went there to try to get help on the wininet.dll problem and posted in their Operating Systems Forum. The post was "moved" to their Security Forum and flrman1 of that forum has been very helpful in trying to resolve this matter.

That's not to say that my experience at this forum has been unsatisfactory because that is not the case.

Thatman, your help was, and is, very much appreciated as you must know. I can see how very busy you are in this forum, and, as we had reached an impasse on the wininet.dll issue, I saw no harm in persuing a remedy elsewhere.

Frankly, the suggestion that I should buy a new operating system disk was not palatable as my computer system is fairly old, and if I upgrade in the future, I would have no further use for it.

In addition, if I knew someone who had a copy of this disk, I would have borrowed it, but unfortunately, I don't know anyone with this disk.

By seeking out alternative options, I trust no one has been offended here.

All I'm trying to do is find a viable and economical solution to the mess this virus has created.

I will continue to work on this problem with flrman1 for the time being, as we are about to do some repairs to my registry. And, if it's not too much of a problem, I will continue to work between the two forums until this matter is resolved. I know this is a little bit unorthodox, but Flrman1 doesn't seem to have a problem with this and I hope it isn't too much of a problem for you good people at geekstogo.

I trust you won't mind if I pass along the most recent information you sent to flrman1 for his perusal. I understand both forums have a working relationship with one another, so I'm hoping I'm not "stepping on anyone's toes" by doing so.

Thanks once again for your time, advice, and understanding in this matter.

Kind regards,

Crowfoot.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi noahdfear

No problem mate

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Crowfoot

You are in very safe hands with flrman1 he is one off the best.

I have no problem with this.

But we will have to close this topic.

Advertisements

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.