Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant Crashing

• Please log in to reply

jamieb17

jamieb17

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
For about two weeks now my computer has started crashing whenever I run a virus scan, go on any website with Flash or Shockwave animation, open most applications or even print large documents. I have managed to run quick scans on Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor and Norton, but never a full system scan. I first posted in the Malware thread, but they have said my computer is clear and sent me here. I have managed to run quick scans on Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor and Norton, but never a full system scan.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have been to tthe Malware thread and I was sent here.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
an important piece of information you left out....

OK, note the time, then run a virus scan until your pc crashes.

Reboot, then

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.[/code]

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
W32Time
W32Time
Service Control Manager

Edited by jamieb17, 28 June 2005 - 02:52 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I sense that those are not errors that occured at THE TIME of the crash, but errors that you see.

w32 time is an error where the time service checks to update your system clock....you should not get two of those when a crash occurs.

Did you look in BOTH system and application?

souble click SERVICE CONTROL MANAGER and what does the info say?

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I can't find anything for the time of the crash (23:38:46). The closest one is at 23:33:00 in the 'System' area.

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Just making sure I hadn't been forgotten here.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
How old is computer?

Sounds like heat related issue.

Reboot computer . . .press key to get to BIOS settings....

Tab over to PC Monitor.... check CPU Temp & Case Temp

Monitor Voltage readings also for low values ...which indicates overloading

If it is higher than 65 degrees C or 70C

Shut down . . . .clean PC. . look at CPU heat sink & look for collection of dust on fins . . . .this will clog air flow

Clean & get rid of dust . . . . see if you can seal better to keep dust out
I have a side fan that has rether large holes fo air . . . I taped a fine mesh screen over these holes & tightned expsndion covers in rear ..This helps to keep the dust out

Jack123

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Could you be a bit more specific about how I should clean my computer, and how to get to BIOS settings. Sorry about taking so long for a reply.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Is computer Desk top or Laptop??

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Desktop

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Can anyone help me out here?

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Anyone?

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
If you don't like messing around in your cmos, goto www.download.com and download speedfan. It is free and it will allow you to see the temp of your cpu. If your temperature is > 60, you are most likely overheating. The best way to clean the system is with canned air. You spray the dust off of the fans, cpu, and motherboard. My server was blue screening as well and it turned to be a fine layer of dust in between the heatsink and fan. Once I blew the dust off with canned air, the temp was cut in 1/2.

Provided this isn't software related, and your temps read ok, try testing your memory. There are many memory testers which work well. Memtest32 works well.