Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Duron 900mhz won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Karawolf

Karawolf

• Pip
  • 3 posts
She twas doin'just fine, then, one day whilest bootin up, just after the initial info screens and prior to where the WinXP splash screen was SUPPOSE to be, I get this screen that looks like a DOS prompt without a drive letter...just the flashing underscore, that won't accept any input.

NOW, my first prognosis was HDD trouble, but after pulling the unit and installing it into an external USB enclosure, I was able to navigate, access files and run programs on it from my Acer laptop. HeII, just for security's sake, I scanned it with anti-virus software and Spybot S&D and Adaware...I even tried to defrag it (it sais it wasn't fragged, if ya will). Of course, I haven't tried to BOOT from it, dunno if you can boot from a device attached to USB. Hooked the puppy back to the AMD...nuthin...same thing...flashing useless underscore

SO now, I'm thinking that if it IS indeed a hardware problem, not some pesky registry fudge-up, then maybe it's the CPU, RAM or motherboard...but then, I guess, that's like diagosing a runny nose as either a cold, alergy, flu or ebola!

Any eyedeers? :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there
Have you tried booting in safe mode?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The only time i had that problem was when my hard drives innards exploded but since yours still works that cant be it. Start your pc in dos mode and run memtest which can be run off a floppy that will tell you if you have a memory prob.
I would let your hard drive run a while even after the fluid bearing on mine went it was still able to be used it just wouldnt let the pc boot from it and it picked up disk errors after about a days use like you wouldnt believe.