Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Athlon 3200 low voltage alert

• Please log in to reply

downtown

downtown

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just installed an OEM Athlon 3200 and it seems to be running smoothly, but the temperature / voltage utility pops up with a warning that the voltage is dropping below 11v. The lowest it drops to is 10.86v. Is this something I should be worried about? I have the voltage set to 1.65 in the BIOS, as it should be.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Likely a power supply issue. How big is your power supply?

downtown

downtown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's a 300 watt ATX power supply.

Also, If I try to run any processor intensive 3D programs with the FSB set at 200, the system locks up. Right now I have it back at 166, and it's fine. I'm guessing this would relate to the power supply issue as well?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I would recommend trying another power supply. Do yourself a favor and get a quality, name brand one. A quick way to check the quality of the power supply is to lift it up, a quality power supply will be heavier than an inferior one.

A quality 300W power supply will probably outperform a cheap 400W. With an Athlon64, a modern 3D graphics card, and multiple drives, a quality 400W power supply should meet your needs and allow for future expansion. Expect to pay $40-50.

downtown

downtown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'll try that. Thanks for your help, yet again!