Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what do you think of this setup

• Please log in to reply

frow

frow

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
motherboard-asus a8n-sli deluxe
memory-2x 512 mb corsair xms pro ddr400 (twinx)
Graphics-ati x800xl 256 mb
sound blaster audigy 2 zs
hard drive-western digital wd740 sata
optical drive-tdk 440n (drive from my current system)
Do I need a floppy drive?
Any suggestions for power supply?

Anyone know if I would save money building this myself or should I buy an alienware or the like.

Advertisements

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
A major problem with your setup is or planned setup is the 3d card. You say you are going to use an SLI mobo and an Ati card. SLI is for using two Nvidia based cards and not ATI.

As for the spec in general i would recommend a meaty power supply if you are going for SLI with Nvidia cards and quite a lot of cooling. At least 2 case fans.

If you want a cheaper solution and still stay with ATI you can wait until ATI crossfire mobos are released.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
well you can still use an sli board nvidia might in the future allow ati to run crossfire on an sli board as it is theoreticallt possible to do so.

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hmmm it may be possible but ATI have a much better way of running two cards. No driver profiles needed and its compatible with every game with a larger performance increase.

frow

frow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am not set on the card. How does everything else look. Would you all change anything with a 1500 budget.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
maybe drop the sound card unless you make your own music or are a dj then the onboard sound on new boards is more than suffucient leaving you to spend the money on a better graphics card, which will really mak a difference in game. I would recomend that later you get a sound card as it will take some load of your cpu.