Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98SE : Lan settings

• Please log in to reply

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My P4 PC has 2 separate drives: One XP and the other one Win 98SE. I have also a G4 Mac who is the Host and a Netgear 834G router/modem. From the XP, I can use broadband using LAN.
Cannot configure the 98SE. Can you point me in the right direction ? Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Go to control panel and open Network Neighborhood to set up your LAN conections. You can also use one of the connection wizards, but i've found that sometimes the one on the desktop (on some versions of 98) will only let you connect the the internet, but you can find the target folder of the shortcut and use the other one to connect.

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I was afraid that Network Neighbourhood would be mentioned. Unfortunately it does not show the
"other " computer. I have disconnected the ethernet cable momentarily, still no joy. Any other pointers apart from re-installing Win98SE ? Thanks

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I was afraid that Network Neighbourhood would be mentioned. Unfortunately it does not show the
"other " computer. I have disconnected the ethernet cable momentarily, still no joy. Any other pointers apart from re-installing Win98SE ? Thanks

View Post

Yes, check your firewall logs to see what it is blocking. Enable the range of IPs assigned by the router as trusted. You may need to disable the firwall in the router. I presume you've run the Network Wizard on the SE machine using a floppy.

You haven't really said how you have things configured on the SE machine so we're guessing here.

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Tyger, The XP configuration went smoothly. You mention the Network Wizard and a floppy for the SE. Do you mean the Resource CD Rom that came with the DG834G Router/Modem ?

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Tyger, Just another thought. When opening the BIOS utility, I note that the ONBOARD LAN is ENABLED, whilst the ONBOARD LAN BOOT Rom is Disabled. Does that make a difference ? Might be a silly question.

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Apparently Under <Device Manager<Network Adapters, the Realtek Fast Ethernet NIC was missing. Now working and I do not know whether there is an icon, like in XP, to tell me whether
the Lan is working !

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Tyger, The XP configuration went smoothly. You mention the Network Wizard and a floppy for the SE. Do you mean the Resource CD Rom that came with the DG834G Router/Modem ?

View Post

You have to download the Network Setup wizard file to a floppy disk from the XP machine, you have to go to the folder where it resides to do that, or when you run it on the XP machine it gives you the option of making a floppy. then you plug the floppy into the machine when it's running on SE and run the program.