Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem not working after reformatting

• Please log in to reply

mickdodger1

mickdodger1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: I need some help please!!!!!!!!! To give you a little history on my problem, I started with a Trojan called Smitfraud and down loaded the sites you suggested and found out the I had a lot more than that so I reformatted my had drive. I have an IBM Aptiva 2270 series CA2, (Intel Celeron 533 MHZ (128KB), 64 MB I have upgraded to 128 MB, 10GB HDD, Microtower, I810, 48xCD, 56k, WIN98SE). I don't know a lot about computers but I am learning. I went to the IBM site and downloaded the drivers they recommended. Here are a couple of my more major problems. I cannot get my modem to work, I have an internal modem (Aztech MPD3880-W, Conexant, RH56D-PCI, R6795-12, F23298.4, 0014). I am also having trouble with my sound, I do not have a sound card, I believe that it is onboard. I have downloaded the drivers for this, but have no volume icon and have no sound. Here is all the info on my motherboard that I can find (OM101903184 VER A02, A02 211850022210234, On my CPU chip I believe that is what it's called is INTEL 810, FW82810 F9431F10, SL3P7).

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Google this;

MDP3880-W +drivers

mickdodger1

mickdodger1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: Thanks Tyger, for replying so fast. I have already been to the Aztech site and downloaded the driver from there. I have clicked on control panel and clicked on the systems icon, then clicked on modem and found the driver there. I read somewhere on this site how to test your modem. I tried that and recieved a message like modem failed to respond, please turn your modem on. if your modem is internal please make sure the ports are set correctly. I checked my bios and went in to the periphals and found that the onboard modem 97 something was not enabled, so I enabled it and found no change, should I disable it again.

Thanks again for responding so fast. ;)

mickdodger1

mickdodger1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: Morning everyone, I am still trying to get my modem to work. Is there anyone out there that can help me on this.

Thanks.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Aztech MPD3880-W, Conexant, RH56D-PCI, R6795-12, F23298.4, 0014

I can help you with this. First thing you need to do is QUERY your modem. Make sure all the ATI commands 1-7 respond. Second when you dial up to your ISP what 3 digit error code / message do you get?

If your running windows 98

To query your modem please do the following:

Go to My computer, control panel, then modems, you will see 2 tabs at the top one that says GENERAL and DIAGNOSTICS

Click on the tab that says DIAGNOSTICS highlight your modem Conexant, and hit the button below that says MORE INFO this will query your modem

Post the results for ATI 1,3,6,7

also if Record a log file is checked, you can check the modem log just do a search for this file MODEMLOG.TXT

I tried that and recieved a message like modem failed to respond,

If you get the message "The modem failed to respond" means two things

1. Modem is not valid.

2. Not properly installed. <--By the sounds of this thread it's this one. When you reformat the hard drive, and re-loaded windows did you install the drivers (software) for that modem? If you didn't then theirs your promblem. The system detects the hardware but cannot run the hardware because theirs no software (drivers) to run the hardware.

Edited by Irongeek, 06 July 2005 - 07:57 AM.