Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with everything

• Please log in to reply

1dumbnun

1dumbnun

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Oh my goodness. This is terrifying!!!
I need help with a second hand computer that does not connect to the internet any more. Can I buy another Modem to hook up with the Presario? I want to have a web site for my Hermitage- I am a Nun- and have NO BRAIN FOR THIS either right or left, and very little money to waste on vain attempts! HELP ME!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Yes, you can get another modem to plug in if that one is defective. Most of the time the problem is the settings or the drivers, the software that tells the computer how to use the modem. For instance, it may be set up to run on a network and you may need to connect directly to the internet, or vice versa.

What model Presario is it, what version of windows, do you know what model of modem? Right click on MyComputer, choose Properties, click Device Manager, expand Modem, is there a yellow question mark? If not, the modem is working and the settings need to change. Are you on a network, or connected directly to the telephone line?

That will give us a starting point.