Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Alright, so I'm at my friend's house trying to fix his computer. Booted up Knoppix, deleted the nastiest of the viruses, then went into Windows and installed NOD32 to kill the rest.

It got up to 80% on the scan then the computer froze, and after restarting it gives me that bsod-type screen and tells me there's an unmountable boot volume. This is only when I try to boot into Windows.

Any ideas on how to fix?

PS in case it means anything to anyone, at the bottom of the screen it says *** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x80E59D98, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Edited by W-Unit, 27 June 2005 - 11:19 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
likely a damaged file system

Start your computer with the windows xp cd and windows setup will begin, eventually you will reach a welcome screen where you will be given the option to repair windows with the recoveryconsole by pressing R.

Do so

you will be asked to choose a windows installation and then enter the password for the windows administrator account. If this is windows xp home, the password is blank, just press the enter key; if it is windows xp pro, ask the person who installed the Operating System,

At the prompt, type

chkdsk /r

This will take some time

When it is complete, type

EXIT

If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in place of
the

chkdsk /r

command

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ps...

*** STOP: 0x000000ED  (0x80E59D98, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

View Post

meant a lot.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Just out of curiosity...
What in the fark happened?

VLuee

VLuee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
How do i start the computer with the Windows XP cd??
-I have the Same PRoblem for like 4 weeks already )-:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Alright, so I'm at my friend's house trying to fix his computer.  Booted up Knoppix, deleted the nastiest of the viruses, then went into Windows and installed NOD32 to kill the rest.

It got up to 80% on the scan then the computer froze, and after restarting it gives me that bsod-type screen and tells me there's an unmountable boot volume.  This is only when I try to boot into Windows.

Any ideas on how to fix?

PS in case it means anything to anyone, at the bottom of the screen it says *** STOP: 0x000000ED  (0x80E59D98, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

View Post

Just a question, does this happen with you re-install the OS as well? If so that might mean that the partitions (if any and was removed) might not have been re-moved correctly. I had this problem as well.

NoJack

NoJack

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, this looks like the same problem I am having, now what if the WIN XP install sees that partition as empty, and KNoppix is able to access all of the files?
This is driving me nuts, what do I need to repair that partition?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start your own thread or things get overlooked, folks

did you try running chkdsk /r from the recovery console?

What has happened is there is a system file corruption...

VLuee

VLuee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
well my computer didn't go in safe mode or anything and i don't have a floppy drive. but i called dell and they are sending me a new Hard Drive or sumtin. so thanks anyways. :tazz: