Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows me won't boot

• Please log in to reply

jjohnson

jjohnson

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK...where to start...my gateway laptop became infected with spyware sheriff. After many hours of attempting to delete the spyware, I concluded that I needed to just reinstall windows me. I have deleted windows me from the machine and reinstalled. However, once it reinstalled and attempted to restart the computer, now windows me won't boot. The machine just sits there with the hard drive spinning but nothing happens. I can't even start windows me in safe mode (same thing happens....hard drive just spins). Can someone please help!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you give us a bit more info -
ie do you receive an error message at all?
if not, how far through the boot process does it get? - ie does it get past the post test OK & begin loading windows or not?

Also, when you said you deleted windows prior to reinstalling, how did you do this? Did you reformat or just delete the files?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
if not, how far through the boot process does it get? - ie does it get past the post test OK & begin loading windows or not?

Also, when you said you deleted windows prior to reinstalling, how did you do this? Did you reformat or just delete the files?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you just delete all the windows files and reinstall? Do you have your installation disk? From your description of the problem you may need to reformat the disk and do a completely clean install. You may need to make a boot disk and use it to reformat, you can use a win98se disk, the file system is the same as ME.

You can get boot disks here

www.allbootdisks.com

Note that your cdrom drive letter is R: for their disks. You can download the boot disk using any computer, they install via an .exe which makes an image of the boot disk on a floppy.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you just delete all the windows files and reinstall? Do you have your installation disk? From your description of the problem you may need to reformat the disk and do a completely clean install. You may need to make a boot disk and use it to reformat, you can use a win98se disk, the file system is the same as ME.

www.allbootdisks.com

Note that your cdrom drive letter is R: for their disks. You can download the boot disk using any computer, they install via an .exe which makes an image of the boot disk on a floppy.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

www.allbootdisks.com

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Advertisements

jjohnson

jjohnson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It will go to the windows me splash screen and then just sit there. I have the system resoration CD. That's what I used to delete windows me and reinstall.

jjohnson

jjohnson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did not reformat, I just deleted windows and reinstalled. There are three options from the restoration CD; 1) reformat and install 2) delete and install 3) install and replace any missing windows files

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I would try the format & reinstall option in that case

jjohnson

jjohnson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was hoping to be able to save some files that are on the hard drive. I do have a boot disk (downloaded from bootdisk.com) Does that offer any solutions without formating?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you can add a second drive to the system, or if you have a second partition on the main drive, you should be able to boot from the boot disk & copy any files you wish to keep over to the other partition/drive.
You will lose the long file names though.