Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you reformat the computer?

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I am trying to reformat my computer to wipe everything off, including viruses. However, I am not totally sure on the exact process in which I do this. Could someone please help me with some step-by-step instructions?

I have Windows ME...

Advertisements

fernsy

fernsy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

you will need a boot disk with fdisk and format on it

once at the a: prompt type format c: make sure there is a space between the format and c: Format should display: WARNING, ALL DATA ON
NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with Format (Y/N)? Type [Y] then press enter i did it just yesterday and worked fine for me

hope this helps

Edited by fernsy, 27 June 2005 - 02:12 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Get hold of a win98se boot disk (you can download one from here if you don't already have one) : http://freepctech.co.../files010.shtml

Don't bother creating a startup disk in ME, cuz I'm fairly sure it doesn't have a copy of format.com on it.

When you are ready to reinstall ME, boot your system into the bios (press DEL key (usually) as soon as the first screen appears after powering on system). Locate the setting called 'boot priority' or 'boot order' etc, and make sure floppy disk is before hard disk in the list.

Also, disable any boot sector virus protection you may have in the bios.

Insert the boot disk into the floppy drive, save & exit the bios. Your system should now reboot from the floppy disk.
At the A:> prompt, type : format c:/s <enter>

This will format the c drive & make it bootable.
After that, assuming the CDROM drivers have loaded ok from the boot disk, just insert the ME CD, change to the CD drive (type d: <enter> or whatever letter corresponds to the cdrom drive), then type setup <enter>

If the CDROM drivers haven't loaded, then you will have to boot from the CD - go back into bios & make sure CDROM is listed before hard drive in the boot order list. Remove the floppy disk, insert the ME CD & reboot system.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you both very much. With your help I did it last night.