Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power shortage? how to fix?

• Please log in to reply

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i feel so stupid because of this

my computer is in a bulky, "not really accessible" desk, and its hard to plug something in by reaching in back of it. I tried to plug in some headphones in my sound card.

i missed the headphone jack

i accidentally (dont ask me how) plugged the headphone plug into a usb port, the metal contacts on the plug touched that of the usb port, shorting the power curcit, i only realized it after my computer started beeping uncontrolably, and a balloon poped up in my system tray, saying "usb device excceded power limitations" the only way to stop the beeping was restart the computer (keep in mind the computer is running fine this second except for the beeping) so i restarted it, and it beeps continuously, and after P.O.S.T. does its thing, and tries to boot windows xp, i get an error screen with litterally no words on it, just abrevhiations and hexidecimal numbers. it would hang there, so i restared with a live cd of "[bleep] small linux 1.2" and that worked fine, just my mouse and keyboard didnt work, at all.

i really dont know what happens during a power short, but i think i completely ruined the input ports on my motherboard and i think i need to buy a new one.

this isnt my main computer i work on, but none the less its important, so i only know very little about it:

hp pavillion (refurbished)
celeron 2.6 GHz
intel motherboard with intel extreme graphics
768mb ram
windows xp home edition

i'm going to find out more about it, so i hope you guys can help me

i either want to know if its fixable, or if just buying a new motherboard will do the trick, or is it the processor or the memory or all three that need to be replaced?

thank you for reading

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you damaged at least part of the motherboard....

When the pc first starts, can you get into bios, and perhaps disable legacy/on board USB?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I cannot get into the bios, anything I type into the keyboard has no affect on the computer, whatever part of the motherboard is destroyed, is obviously stopping any signal to or from the keyboard.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
also, it is a ASUS P4G533LA motherboard

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
What i'm really asking is if there is a way to fix it without buying a new motherboard. because i am about to do so, that is, if the motherboard needs to be replaceded, and i dont have money to throw away, if the motherboard is not the problem.

any advice would be great.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is your keyboard a usb keyboard?

if so, try a ps2 keyboard

other than that, I would say it's hosed

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
it is a ps/2 keyboard and mouse, i think i'll just put $40 into a new motherboard, and if i need to replace the processor too, i'll do that, and same for RAM, it was a cheap computer, so i guess putting a little over a hundred dollars into it isnt too bad, just as long as the data on the hard drive is recoverable.

do you think the data on the hard drive is recoverable?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
absolutely.

do you have a windows disk?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yes, i have the windows xp home edition disk, and 6 hp restore disks, and all my software installation disks

and if i must reformat, (which i dont think i will have to do because i dont think the hard drive was affected by me shorting the curcuit accidentaly), i could always just pop that hard drive into another computer as a slave drive, boot up the computer, and copy and paste my documents onto the good computers hard drive, then reformat the first one.

thank you for keeping up with this topic gerryf

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i believe i have solved the problem

i just bought a new socket 754 motherboard and an athlon 64 2800+ processor. i will use my existing case, drives, and ram (768mb, DDR266 [pc2100]). i figured i wanted an upgrade anyway, and if my ram needs replacing, i will replace that too. i cant wait till it comes in from newegg.com, and i will tell you how everything works out.