Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton AV 2005 adds "hardware"

• Please log in to reply

rklndman

rklndman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I am installing NAV 2005 trialware on my IBM Thinkpad 600E (don't laugh, the laptop works!!). Everything is going smoothly. No errors or problems. However after the mandatory reboot, ( and all the needed updates) I find that NAV has installed HARDWARE (pretty neat trick right?)

The hardware that Windows is finding is
1) symantec network drivers service
2) symantec settings manager
3) symantec SPBBCSvc&
4) symlcbrd.

Needles to say XP can not find the drivers for it so I get the dreaded yellow & black exclamation point in the Device Manager. Now being the perfectionist I am, this bothers me. (I also don't know if this means some part of the AV software wont work properly).

I tried using 2 seperate files of the trialware & got the same results. So, before I buy the full version, any ideas anyone?

OS = XP SP2
laptop = ibm thinkpad 600e (don't laugh)
network = wireless G notebook adapter ver 4.0 from Linksys with WPA security
antispyware = Counterspy (updated of course)

Any help would be appreciated.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Ever get get the "keyboard error, no keyboard found. Press F1 to continue" message?

Advertisements

Bazzrr

Bazzrr

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have seen this before and as recent as yesterday
I have just finished setting up a brand new computer then added NAV 2005
The device "Symantec Settings Manager " was added to the device manager, but XP couldnt find the driver
Symantecs response (over the phone) in the past has been to remove and reinstall NAV 2005, a bit sad considering this is a new computer with new XP SP2 install
As yet I have seen nothing on their website that would explain this

(in the latest episode, i simply removed the device from the Device manager & restarted - seems to have stayed away!)

In short, I dont recommend their AV product, far too hard to support, even to install
If it goes in, great!
If not, then the hair pulling starts! :tazz:

Save your money,
There are plenty of free progs out there, AVG etc