Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compaq sc-140s and teac cd w58e

• Please log in to reply

caprice

caprice

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried uninstall and reinstall. Didn't work. Got the following error code: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)."

So, I tried a new driver (compaq) from drivers.com but the application wouldn't run. I can't find a Teac driver. I may have inadvertantly removed a file when I was cleaning up my computer because it didn't work after I ran some anti-spyware software. I can't recover the deleted files.

Can you help?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows installs and uses it's own built-in drivers for all optical drives, that's why you don't get a driver disk with a new optical drive any more, they aren't required now that Windows no longer needs DOS to prop it up. So what this amounts to is it's a Windows system driver that's missing or corrupted. You don't say which version of indows you have. If it's 98 --- go to Start -- Run and start the 'system file checker' by typing SFC then click OK. If it's XP, boot from the cd and run the repair console by pressing 'R' before setup runs.

caprice

caprice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I have Windows XP version 2002 service pack 2. Unfortunately, I can't boot from the cd because my cd doesn't work. Hm. Back to the original problem.... :tazz:

caprice

caprice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Ok. Rather than making assumptions, I actually followed your directions which, of course, were absolutely correct. I was able to boot from the cd. However, when I got into the repair console, I didn't know what to do. I tried typing in SFC but it didn't work. I tried chkdsk, but it said the volume was ok.

Anything else I can try?