Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

alcan.a cant remove [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tomoliveri

tomoliveri

• Pip
  • 4 posts
'alcan.a' has coppied itself 12,207 times and i susspect it is eating our 10gig bandwith

i would just click the remove button on adaware but unfortunatly it freezes within seconds

there are several articles around but none seem as near as severe, the computer is running but very slow.

please help!

Thanks!!

Attached Files

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Mean while you're waiting for Ad-aware experts,
you really have to get rid of Kazaa.
It's causing your problem.
Once you have uninstalled Kazaa & deleted ALL leftover files from it,
try up SpyBot S&D and other anti-spyware tools.
Free online anti-virus scans wouldn't do harm either.

- Rawe :tazz:

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
Please uninstall Kazaa from Add/Remove programs,

Then once uninstalled please post your latest full system scan logfile here.

:tazz:

tomoliveri

tomoliveri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
close but no cigar, i have several other p2p programs but not kazaa, ill remove them then try to post the scan log

and adaware seems to be the only program that finds it

tomoliveri

tomoliveri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah i just removed 'bear share' and adaware is searching, its up to 10,000 and counting... no improvment here any other ideas

btw i think i had kazaa on this comp before.

tomoliveri

tomoliveri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry to be posting non stop but im sure other people will suffer this problem...

i have searched for the locations of these files and ;) they were all in old kazaa folders, i used absoluteShield file shredder and it has gotten rid of them, im yet to see if they will come back but all seems well! :tazz:

steveml

steveml

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

Edited for content.

Edited by coachwife6, 29 June 2005 - 06:42 AM.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
steveml,
otherwise could be good idea,
but tomoliveri has more problems than only that worm.
Let's stick in Ad-aware..
Tomoliveri,
once you have uninstalled and deleted Kazaa (+ other your file sharing programs),
please post a fresh Ad-aware SE log so that an Ad-aware Expert can check it for you. ;)

- Rawe :tazz:

steveml

steveml

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Fair point,

Just curious why my current (latest definitions) version of Ad-Aware detected and supposedly removed the worm - but the worm constantly re-appeared?

This is not a snipe at Ad-Aware - I regurlarly use the program and rate it highly, but as is commonly known, on many occasions the end-user does need to use a couple of Spyware/Adware programs to completely eliminate a problem.

Current definitions of Spybot S&D do also not recognise this problem.

This is why I think the firsts step would be to remove the P2P program/s and then eliminate the worm using a prog. that can successfully do this. Sure, Ad-Aware may correct this with future definitions, but it cannot currently solve the problem.

Worked for me anyhow - my comp had Alcan copies numerous times and also ran very slow.

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
Ad-aware in the past has had problems with removing objects, (VX2, Coolwebsearch)

For instance, Nail.exe, Ad-aware would find it but not be able to remove it.

Please could you try downloading Ewido

Hopefully this will remove the worm fully.

Please keep us updated

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*

This is why I think the firsts step would be to remove the P2P program/s and then eliminate the worm using a prog. that can successfully do this. Sure, Ad-Aware may correct this with future definitions, but it cannot currently solve the problem.

My suggestion would not to remove your P2P programs yet.

Unless they are bad.

There is currently an article at SpywareInfo which lists the good and bad Peer 2 Peer downloaders (P2P)

Please make sure you are currently running no bad P2P programs.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.