Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Freeze

• Please log in to reply

alteczen

alteczen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been having problems with a pc for days now. I've tried everything I know to try with no luck.

PC Specs:
2.4 Celeron
PC Chips 925ALU Motherboard - Socket 478, 400/533Mhz system bus
256 Mb Ram
Onboard Video, Sound, LAN
52x CD-ROM
CD Burner
OS - Win XP PRO SP2

The beginning:
The pc would freeze after a few minutes of use. I tried to roll the pc back to a restore point months prior thinking that a conflict occurred with a windows update. - still froze

Next - figuring something with the OS or software was causing issues. I decided to format C drive and start fresh. I couldn't even format it before it locked. I took the hd out and put it in another pc - formatted no problem. I even installed Win XP Pro on it in the other pc fine.

I put HD back in pc - still locks.

Unhooked the cd burner - still locks.

Flashed the BIOS - still locks.

Purchased a new 512 Mb stick of memory and removed other stick - still locks. (at least I have more memory now)

Checks cpu fan - it's running the entire time so I can't see how it would over heat.

I tried to run the Mem86 pgm to test all the cache and memory. The program locks up before it can test. It gets to about 7-11% and freezes again.

I'm lost on this one and I'm about to go buy a new motherboard. Is this the answer? Is there anything else I can try before I spend the money?

Thanks for the help!!!!
:tazz:

Advertisements

alteczen

alteczen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
anyone...? I've spent hours troubleshooting this and I'm close to making this machine roadkill in front of my house.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Could you post your temps and voltages from bios maybe this will give us a clue

You could also try and load the bios defaults because you changed the ram maybe theres a bios setting not right, I am not familar with that board or intel's settings so I will let someone else look into that but if the computer is not rebooting and the fact that memtest will freeze makes me think that its a bios setting off or a bad mobo or cpu.

Rick