Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New DVD/CD-ROM drive not reading discs!

• Please log in to reply

InclininWirefree

InclininWirefree

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

I recently made myself a dual-Opteron machine and have installed a LiteOn 1673S DVD/CD combo drive.

Attemping to install the OS using the combo drive was a smooth ride. However, within Windows XP the drive doesn't read a single music or data disc! It is, however, detected & reported to be functioning well by Device Manager.

I have already attempted uninstalling & reinstalling the device to no avail...

Digging around on the Internet, I read thru a user forum mentioning similar problems w/ this particular model...New firmware downloads are available & recommended.

My question is, should I attempt to install a new firmware (not sure how to!?) or simply take it for replacement. Like I mentioned, all hardware is new, less than a month old, and ofcourse under warranty. Having said that, if it indeed is a software (firmware/drivers) related issue as opposed to a hardware issue (which it probably ain't coz like i said i installed an entire OS using it) then wud a replacement really help?

Pls advise. Thx

Advertisements

InclininWirefree

InclininWirefree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No responses!

Perhaps more granulaity is required...follows:

=- The ROM was successfully used to load XP for the first time using a Windows XP CD
=- Within Windows:
- the ROM icon appears under My Computer
- Device Manager reports - "This device is working well"
- mechanical functions of the ROM are working fine e.g. opening, closing, 'eject' using right-click, etc
=- On inserting music/data CDs (which are working fine on another pc), the usual humming & spinning commences
- Finally, a blank file explorer greets me.

Await assistance...Thx.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Is there another drive on the IDE cable. If so is one of the drives set to slave and 1 to master?

InclininWirefree

InclininWirefree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey Molex,

I simply have one DVD/CD ROM drive and two SATA HDDs...So, to answer ur question, there are no other IDE-using devices in the machine...for that matter, the Secondary IDE connector on the mobo is currently empty...

In the BIOS, the ROM (LiteOn 1673S) is listed as Primary IDE Slave with PIO Mode, UDMA, Primary IDE Slave & Access Mode all set to 'Auto

Lk fwd to advise...Thx.

InclininWirefree

InclininWirefree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
just another observation...

The Quick installaion guide for the DVD Writer says "Step 3: Set the Master/Slave jumper on the rear panel of the DVD Writer drive. For the best results, we strongly suggest you connecting your DVD Writer drive to the Secondary IDE port as the Master device."

The above statement is accompanied by a diagram indicating an IDE HDD being used by the Primary IDE port...

However, in my case, I have two SATA HDDs...So, the DVD Writer is connected directly to Primary IDE port as opposed to the suggested Secondary IDE port...More peculiarly, the jumper on the rear panel is set to 'Slave'.

...cud this be the reason?

keithcore

keithcore

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Check out these Microsoft suggestions.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;320553

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324129