Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP reinstall issue

• Please log in to reply

marco500

marco500

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently tried to install Win XP onto a second hard drive in my computer. I was going to move this hard frive to another computer for my kids. During the install it appearde that it was going to overwrite my C drive so I stopped the install. Now at start up it keeps asking me if I want to start in Full XP mode or finish the XP install. How do I get rid of this.

Thanks

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
How did you "tell" XP which hard drive the new install was going to? Is this the same disk that you used to install your version of XP? If you can still boot to your original configuaration, I would run a system restore first.

Johanna

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Win XP amazingly enough can run two XP installation in one partition, but i don't recommend that at all!

boot normally into your Win XP and try the following:

right click on My Computer -> Properties, then select the Advance tab. in the Startup and Recovery select Settings.
In the default operating system, how many selection do you see in the drop down menu?

because you have started installing, it has probably added an entry into your boot.ini file to point into both of your installtions.

let me know what you find out there so i could tell you what to do next.

marco500

marco500

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You are correct there are 2 entires and the install version is marked as default.