Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card upgrade disaster

• Please log in to reply

Talhamid

Talhamid

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear All

I have a P4 3.0 GHz with IMB RAM, and genuine Intel Motherboard. Previously I had RADEON 9600 XT (256). Yesterday I switched it with a Club3D NVidia GeForce 6600 GT (128). I thought the RAM was an issue, but their would be substantial gains in performance as the new card is two generations ahead.

After installing the card, I fired up Far Cry. I found that many video settings were disabled, and when I started the game it looked as if it was running on a 10-year-old card instead of my new (and expensive) baby. There were a lot of blank areas in the level. After 2-3 minutes the monitor shut down and then so did the PC.

I re-booted, reinstalled the drivers and then tried to run Half Life 2 and Tiger Woods 2005. While graphically they were impressive, the compute again shut down within 3 minutes.

I am going crazy. I thought paying more money for my graphics would bring me happiness - instead it has reduced me to tears. My 9600 XT performed admirably, and ran Far Cry with all settings cranked up, albeit at 800X600, with perfectly playable framerate. I switched because of the outstanding value for money 6600 GT seems to offer.

Please help me guys.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You need to clean up the drivers. Go to http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and get Driver Cleaner (it is free). You are going to need to run it to clean up the Radeon (I believe this is ATI?) driver, and then the NVidia driver. Once you have done that, re-install the current NVidia driver. This is how to do it. First, go to add/remove programs and delete the current video driver. Then boot into safe mode and run driver cleaner TWICE for the ATI driver, each time deleting all that it finds. Then run it again TWICE for the Nvidia driver, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current NVidia dirver for your new card.