Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ICS problem

• Please log in to reply

project-2501

project-2501

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi just wondering if someone can help me with an internet connection sharing problem. Iv'e set it up using a wireless router to share the connection between four computers, but had plug the modem directly into one of the computers because it's USB. Everything seems to work fine except that the only one that can't access the internet is the host computer with the modem plugged into it.

Hope someone can help because this is driving me up the wall.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
when you setup the internet connection, did you specify the gateway? because normally other PC will be looking at the host PC as their gateway but where is the host PC looking??

open a command prompt and type > ipconfig /all

look for your default gateway.

project-2501

project-2501

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The broadband adapter gateway is the same as it's IP address(217.44.230.31) , the Ethernet adapter doesn't have a gateway set, what should it be set to because unless I'm mistaken won't the broadband IP keep changing everytime i connect.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
don't worry about the broadband adapter, the Ip address changes. you only need to look at your ethernet adaper and see if the IP address 217.44.230.31 is your default gateway on your ethernet.

project-2501

project-2501

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No there's just nothing there under default gateway in the command prompt, should I set that to be the gateway in LAN properties?

project-2501

project-2501

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Incidentally this all worked fine before I put service pack 2 in.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
run the ICS wizard again and make sure you specify your connection. It would follow your IP address automatically while it changes.

project-2501

project-2501

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've run that wizard about 20 times now it doesn't help, anyway Iv'e decided to use a different computer as the host now which isn't ideal but works. Thanks for your help though.