Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Real Player driver update loops reboot

• Please log in to reply

NotAnotherAliGFan

NotAnotherAliGFan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just read on the Secunia website how a serious vulnerability in Real Player (rated Highly Critical!) can execute malicious codes crafted in mp3's, avi's etc. The solution it offers is to go to the "Check updates" option in the player itself. I have the most recent version of the basic free player, and I checked all the boxes it gave me. The update worked fine. Then I noticed a side menu in there, with "games" and "drivers" I haven't checked yet. Since I don't care much for games, I went to the drivers section and checked the one box it presented me with. Since then, I had to restart my computer five or six times (!) - every time upon startup, launch of Real Player resulted in the same "To complete installation you have to reboot - otherwise press <Quit Player>" window - before I uninstalled and re-installed the player again, updating everything but the driver afterwards. Could somebody tell me what the problem is and how well am I protected against that vulnerability?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well I would recomend that you uninstall and leave off realplayer.

check out this if you want to view realplayer files:
http://www.free-code...Alternative.htm

This is what I use. Realplayer is just a huge resource hog.

NotAnotherAliGFan

NotAnotherAliGFan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK... thanks for the advice, but I still wanna know how to solve this within Real Player itself. If anybody has any ideas...

Edited by NotAnotherAliGFan, 30 June 2005 - 04:29 AM.

billbrasky222

billbrasky222

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey I had the same problem with realplayer after i did an update. What worked for me was i clicked a link inside web-site to play a midi file, realplayer popped up with the box that said "Need to either reboot or close player", i clicked close player, another box popped up saying that the web-page needed to be closed in order to complete the reboot, it closed it, and now real-player works fine. Hopefully that will help.